Samsung confirms official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware for the Galaxy S3 and will be pushed before 2013 ends. Samsung Galaxy S4 already received an Android 4.3 update which hints what owners of S3 can expect. Here are 13 different features possible to appear on the Android 4.3 upgrade for Galaxy S3.
SamMobile caught both Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 and GT0I9505 receiving the official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update with changes and features delivered by the new firmware. It is expected that most of these features will also appear on the Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 software coming out soon.
Android 4.3 Firmware Features
1. Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Goodies - Google's default blessing on the Android 4.3 includes Bluetooth Low Energy, OpenGL ES 3.0, Virtual Surround Sound, improved dialler, better text input on virtual keyboard and more. Samsung may have adjusted some of these features on their own firmware.
2. Samsung Galaxy Gear Support - Formerly exclusive application installed on the Galaxy Note 3. Galaxy S4 running Samsung's Android 4.3 firmware can now control the accessories and also expected to reach Galaxy Note 2.
3. TRIM Support - New feature on Android 4.3 OS which makes the device faster.
4. ANT+ Support - Used for collection and transfer of sensor data from accessories such as heart rate monitors, activity metres, calorimeters and more.
5. Samsung Knox - Exclusive security suite made by Samsung for extended privacy of data.
6. Samsung Wallet - Native application from Samsung on Android 4.3 firmware.
7. Display Colour - Android 4.3 firmware improves display colour reproduction and sharpness.
8. TouchWiz Launcher - TouchWiz UI becomes faster and suffers less lag.
9. Samsung Keyboard - Updated default Samsung virtual keyboard.
10. Samsung Browser - Samsung browser supports full screen as default with new tab interface.
11. Reading Mode - Optimisation of display for reading purposes and other specified applications.
12. Camera App - Firmware updates the camera application with new UI and additional features.
13. Overall Tweaking - Certain parts of the UI have been tweaked such as Contacts, Flashlight widget, dialog boxes and more.
Samsung Galaxy S3 Future Updates
Aside from expected Android 4.3 firmware updates which contain bug fixes, Galaxy S3 owners may get segmented parts of Android 4.4 KitKat firmware soon via Play Store. Official Android 4.4 KitKat software from Samsung may take longer than expected as the company will focus first on Galaxy S5, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3. But having Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update is a sign of great possibility getting further updates in 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail: