Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini may not get Android 4.2 or 4.3 Jelly Bean as TouchWiz UI integration can cause issues which happened with other Samsung phones. Owners of the 'mini' smartphone can upgrade their device using manual update from CyanogenMod 10.2 with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and 'zero' bloatware firmware.
CyanogenMod 10.2 Build
CyanogenMod 10.2 developers support Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware and removed the TouchWiz UI for lighter system and better performance. Certain Android 4.3 Jelly Bean features such as Bluetooth Low Energy, OpenGL ES 3.0 and Virtual Surround sound are now enabled to the smartphone.
Some features included to the ROM are:
- 1GHz bug resolved
- 2D/3D hardware acceleration
- Sensors functionality
- Wireless connectivity
- All native tethering
- Camera functions
- CPU sleep mode
- YouTube high quality
- Offline charging
- 64GB SD card support
1. This CM 10.2 build is compatible for Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini I8910, I8190L and I8190N.
2. Root the smartphone and install a ClockworkMod custom recovery.
3. Create a manual backup of all your personal information, settings and data files stored inside your Galaxy S3 Mini.
4. Make sure that the battery level is at least 50 per cent.
5. Enable USB debugging mode on your device. Go to "Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging." Sometimes the USB debugging mode is located under "Developer Options."
6. Download and install all necessary USB drivers for your smartphone. Samsung Kies PC Suite with the device plugged on your computer installs the USB drivers.
7. Download the CyanogenMod 10.2 custom ROM and the Google Apps to your computer.
Warning: CyanogenMod 10.2 is a custom ROM which requires manual installation that may damage your device. We are not liable for any damages which may occur on your Galaxy S3 mini. Read, understand and follow the instructions provided to avoid damaging or bricking your smartphone. Do this at your own risk.
1. Connect your Galaxy S3 Mini to the computer via USB cable.
2. Copy the CM 10.2 custom ROM and the Google Apps package then paste it to the SD card of your smartphone. Do not extract the zip files.
3. Disconnect the handset and turn it off.
4. Reboot the device into recovery mode. Press and hold Volume Up + Home + Back keys at the same time till the Samsung logo appears.
5. Inside the recovery mode, create an Android backup of the current ROM. Select "backup and restore > backup" to save the ROM on its SD card. Restore the ROM anytime you desire.
6. Perform a complete wipe on the device. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition." Then select "advanced > wipe Dalvik cache."
7. After the full wipe, install the CyanogenMod 10.2 by selecting "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > find the CM 10.2 you have pasted earlier > confirm installation."
8. Once the installation has been completed, go back to the main menu in the recovery mode then select "reboot system now."
9. The smartphone will reboot and may take up to five minutes before reaching the home screen.
Your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini is running CyanogenMod 10.2 with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS version and features.
For bugs, errors and suggestions, send your feedback to Maclaw Bug Report section.
To contact the editor, e-mail: