Free Live Stream: Mike Alvarado vs. Ruslan Provodnikov: WBO Interim Light Welterweight Championship
By Lou Ramon Aguila | October 20, 2013 1:26 PM EST
Mike Alvarado will defend his WBO Light Welterweight Championship belt against Russian hard-hitter Ruslan Provodnikov on Saturday at 1stBank Center, Broomfield, Colorado, United States.
Alvarado, coming off a 12-round unanimous decision win over Brandon Rios, will try to defend his interim belt against the guy that brought hell to Tim Bradley last March.
Provodnikov instantly became a star following his 12-round rumble with undefeated WBO Welterweight champion. He landed several big shots on the head and body of Bradley, but succumbed to the champion superior boxing skills.
Meanwhile, Alvarado finally avenged his 7th round TKO at the hands of Rios by beating his rival by points in their second fight. Alvarado used his boxing skills to tag Rios in the latter round of the fight, claiming the interim belt in the process.
Top-Rank promoter Bob Arum expects this match to be an all-out war between two brawlers who don't know the word quit inside the ring.
"There is not much I can say as a promoter. You don't have to sell this fight," Arum said. "Everyone that knows anything about boxing knows that this fight will be a candidate for fight of the year. Two great warriors, two guys that entertain the public. You don't need a sales pitch for this one, and it's showing at the box office as there are so few tickets left, and by fight time it will be sold out."
Alvarado, who will fight in front of his home crowd, is excited to get the fight going. The Mile High native even predicted his bout to be Provodnikov as intense as he had with Rios in their first fight.
"This is exciting. It's a dream come true to defend this title in my hometown and having all of my main supporters here," Alvarado said. "It's a blessing. I'm ready to get in there and do what I always do -- win this fight and retain this title and go on to bigger and better things."
"All of our fights have been top-caliber fights," Alvarado said. "The anticipation is from the wars that we have been in. It tells us that this fight has 'war' written all over it and there's a good chance that this fight will turn into that. I have a good game plan. I know how I'm going to box to win this fight, but you never know. This fight could turn into a crazy war and we could see Rios I all over again."
On the other hand, Provodnikov said he's all pumped up for his showdown with Alvarado as he guarantees an all-out war tonight in Colorado.
"I think we are going to have to fight no matter what," Provodnikov said. "Whether it will be one punch [I don't know], but I think it will turn into a fight no matter what. I don't think either of us can run for the entire fight and I don't think he'll be able to box with me as well as he thinks. This will turn into a fight. If I can make Timothy Bradley fight me, I don't think there is anyone that won't end up fighting me. ... Every muscle and bone in my body is ready to go."
Live Stream & Schedule
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Vivo Rumoured To Be Building World’s Thinnest Smartphone With 3.8 MM Thickness