Free Live Stream: Mike Alvarado vs. Ruslan Provodnikov: WBO Interim Light Welterweight Championship
By Lou Ramon Aguila | October 20, 2013 1:26 PM EST
Mike Alvarado will defend his WBO Light Welterweight Championship belt against Russian hard-hitter Ruslan Provodnikov on Saturday at 1stBank Center, Broomfield, Colorado, United States.
Alvarado, coming off a 12-round unanimous decision win over Brandon Rios, will try to defend his interim belt against the guy that brought hell to Tim Bradley last March.
Provodnikov instantly became a star following his 12-round rumble with undefeated WBO Welterweight champion. He landed several big shots on the head and body of Bradley, but succumbed to the champion superior boxing skills.
Meanwhile, Alvarado finally avenged his 7th round TKO at the hands of Rios by beating his rival by points in their second fight. Alvarado used his boxing skills to tag Rios in the latter round of the fight, claiming the interim belt in the process.
Top-Rank promoter Bob Arum expects this match to be an all-out war between two brawlers who don't know the word quit inside the ring.
"There is not much I can say as a promoter. You don't have to sell this fight," Arum said. "Everyone that knows anything about boxing knows that this fight will be a candidate for fight of the year. Two great warriors, two guys that entertain the public. You don't need a sales pitch for this one, and it's showing at the box office as there are so few tickets left, and by fight time it will be sold out."
Alvarado, who will fight in front of his home crowd, is excited to get the fight going. The Mile High native even predicted his bout to be Provodnikov as intense as he had with Rios in their first fight.
"This is exciting. It's a dream come true to defend this title in my hometown and having all of my main supporters here," Alvarado said. "It's a blessing. I'm ready to get in there and do what I always do -- win this fight and retain this title and go on to bigger and better things."
"All of our fights have been top-caliber fights," Alvarado said. "The anticipation is from the wars that we have been in. It tells us that this fight has 'war' written all over it and there's a good chance that this fight will turn into that. I have a good game plan. I know how I'm going to box to win this fight, but you never know. This fight could turn into a crazy war and we could see Rios I all over again."
On the other hand, Provodnikov said he's all pumped up for his showdown with Alvarado as he guarantees an all-out war tonight in Colorado.
"I think we are going to have to fight no matter what," Provodnikov said. "Whether it will be one punch [I don't know], but I think it will turn into a fight no matter what. I don't think either of us can run for the entire fight and I don't think he'll be able to box with me as well as he thinks. This will turn into a fight. If I can make Timothy Bradley fight me, I don't think there is anyone that won't end up fighting me. ... Every muscle and bone in my body is ready to go."
Live Stream & Schedule
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People