Free Live Stream: Mike Alvarado vs. Ruslan Provodnikov: WBO Interim Light Welterweight Championship
By Lou Ramon Aguila | October 20, 2013 1:26 PM EST
Mike Alvarado will defend his WBO Light Welterweight Championship belt against Russian hard-hitter Ruslan Provodnikov on Saturday at 1stBank Center, Broomfield, Colorado, United States.
Alvarado, coming off a 12-round unanimous decision win over Brandon Rios, will try to defend his interim belt against the guy that brought hell to Tim Bradley last March.
Provodnikov instantly became a star following his 12-round rumble with undefeated WBO Welterweight champion. He landed several big shots on the head and body of Bradley, but succumbed to the champion superior boxing skills.
Meanwhile, Alvarado finally avenged his 7th round TKO at the hands of Rios by beating his rival by points in their second fight. Alvarado used his boxing skills to tag Rios in the latter round of the fight, claiming the interim belt in the process.
Top-Rank promoter Bob Arum expects this match to be an all-out war between two brawlers who don't know the word quit inside the ring.
"There is not much I can say as a promoter. You don't have to sell this fight," Arum said. "Everyone that knows anything about boxing knows that this fight will be a candidate for fight of the year. Two great warriors, two guys that entertain the public. You don't need a sales pitch for this one, and it's showing at the box office as there are so few tickets left, and by fight time it will be sold out."
Alvarado, who will fight in front of his home crowd, is excited to get the fight going. The Mile High native even predicted his bout to be Provodnikov as intense as he had with Rios in their first fight.
"This is exciting. It's a dream come true to defend this title in my hometown and having all of my main supporters here," Alvarado said. "It's a blessing. I'm ready to get in there and do what I always do -- win this fight and retain this title and go on to bigger and better things."
"All of our fights have been top-caliber fights," Alvarado said. "The anticipation is from the wars that we have been in. It tells us that this fight has 'war' written all over it and there's a good chance that this fight will turn into that. I have a good game plan. I know how I'm going to box to win this fight, but you never know. This fight could turn into a crazy war and we could see Rios I all over again."
On the other hand, Provodnikov said he's all pumped up for his showdown with Alvarado as he guarantees an all-out war tonight in Colorado.
"I think we are going to have to fight no matter what," Provodnikov said. "Whether it will be one punch [I don't know], but I think it will turn into a fight no matter what. I don't think either of us can run for the entire fight and I don't think he'll be able to box with me as well as he thinks. This will turn into a fight. If I can make Timothy Bradley fight me, I don't think there is anyone that won't end up fighting me. ... Every muscle and bone in my body is ready to go."
Live Stream & Schedule
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report