Hidden Gold Treasure Hunt: ASI Acted on Evidence, not on Seer's Dream, Say Officials
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 19, 2013 11:34 PM EST
Government officials have played down reports that the Archaeological Survey of India's (ASI) excavation work at Daundia Khera village of Unnao district in Uttar Pradesh on Friday for finding hidden treasure was based on a dream by a seer.
Several sections of the media claimed that the ASI began excavation work after seer Shobhan Sarkar dreamt that 1,000 tonnes of gold is buried under the ruined fort of King Raja Rao Ram Bux. It was even reported that the seer wrote to Fatehpur District Magistrate Abhay Kumar on the same.
However, government officials have now rubbished these reports .
"We have started excavation yesterday. Our Lucknow circle of ASI is doing the excavation on archaeological principles and it is continuing there. It has nothing to do with the dream of any sadhu or particular person," Additional Director General BR Mani told CNN IBN.
"The government has never claimed that 1,000 tonnes of gold will be found. We as archaeologists expect to find new things and civilizations. We connect the new findings to old ones and compare them. Our work is nothing but research," added Dr Sayed Jamal Hasan, Director Exploration, ASI.
The Ministry of Culture has also clarified in a statement that the ASI began the excavation work at the 19th century fort after a report by the Geological Survey of India (GSI) mentioned "this prominent non-magnetic anomalous zone occurring at 5-20 m depth indicative of possible non conducting, metallic contents or some alloys."
"On the basis of GSI report it was decided by ASI to undertake excavations at the site to try to unearth and determine the nature of the reported deposits. It is also noteworthy to mention that this is reported to be an ancient settlement site which may have the potential of being an important archaeological location. The SA (Lucknow Circle) was conveyed permission on 10th October, 2013 to undertake the trial exploration/excavations by deputing a full team from his office," read a statement from the ministry.
The excavation work, which commenced on 18 October, is estimated to take a minimum of 2 to 3 weeks to reach the reported level of deposits, added the statement.
It is reported that the ASI took up the excavation work after a king told seer Shobhan Sarkar in his dream that 1,000 tonnes of gold has been hidden beneath the fort of King Raja Rao Ram Bux in Unnao. Union Minister of State for Food Processing Charan Das Mahant had reportedly met the seer on learning about his dream.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers