Wall Street Journal Takes Back The iPhone 5c Supply Chain Cuts Story
By Karla Danica Figuerres | October 18, 2013 9:08 PM EST
On October 16, the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) initially released the article "Apple Cuts iPhone 5C Orders," authored by Ian Sherr, Lorraine Luk and Eva Dou. The report conveyed supplier cuts less than one-third from the Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. and 20 percent from the Pegatron Corp.
Upon release it becomes big news all over the Internet albeit it is below par conceived interpretations of unverified data. In that same report, the Wall Street Journal failed to mention the number of iPhone 5c they had been creating, the total number of models it originally planned to create this quarter and the number of models it will produce as a response to its production yields.
WSJ further speculated that the reduced orders fuelled the less-than-expected demands and Apple's pricing strategy. On that same day of October 16, WSJ changed the controversial headline to "Apple's Dual iPhone Strategy in Doubt". The revised article cited an Orange executive stating that the iPhone 5c is not doing very well as anticipated because of its high price and the iPhone 4S is still a cheaper choice. Nonetheless, Orange still did not mention the number of models it was retailing of every iPhone model.
Despite Tim Cook's warning during Apple's January quarterly earnings conference that analysts should not base their predictions on supply chain "checks" in 2013, analysts issued "supply chain check" reports that led to erroneous headlines all over the Internet.
Also, apart from supply chain checks, several reports were made on the iPhone 5c cuts in China and US, which is again, an implausible conclusion to draw given that iPhone 5c is outselling Samsung Galaxy S4 in four major U.S. carriers and the iPhone 5c remains in the top three smartphone models.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8