Wall Street Journal Takes Back The iPhone 5c Supply Chain Cuts Story
By Karla Danica Figuerres | October 18, 2013 9:08 PM EST
On October 16, the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) initially released the article "Apple Cuts iPhone 5C Orders," authored by Ian Sherr, Lorraine Luk and Eva Dou. The report conveyed supplier cuts less than one-third from the Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. and 20 percent from the Pegatron Corp.
Upon release it becomes big news all over the Internet albeit it is below par conceived interpretations of unverified data. In that same report, the Wall Street Journal failed to mention the number of iPhone 5c they had been creating, the total number of models it originally planned to create this quarter and the number of models it will produce as a response to its production yields.
WSJ further speculated that the reduced orders fuelled the less-than-expected demands and Apple's pricing strategy. On that same day of October 16, WSJ changed the controversial headline to "Apple's Dual iPhone Strategy in Doubt". The revised article cited an Orange executive stating that the iPhone 5c is not doing very well as anticipated because of its high price and the iPhone 4S is still a cheaper choice. Nonetheless, Orange still did not mention the number of models it was retailing of every iPhone model.
Despite Tim Cook's warning during Apple's January quarterly earnings conference that analysts should not base their predictions on supply chain "checks" in 2013, analysts issued "supply chain check" reports that led to erroneous headlines all over the Internet.
Also, apart from supply chain checks, several reports were made on the iPhone 5c cuts in China and US, which is again, an implausible conclusion to draw given that iPhone 5c is outselling Samsung Galaxy S4 in four major U.S. carriers and the iPhone 5c remains in the top three smartphone models.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 To Boost Telstra’s Income By $500 Million
- Smaller Australian Telcos Required To Have Usage Alert For Customers To Avoid Phone Bill Shock
- BlackBerry to Host ‘See The Bigger Picture’ Event in London, Dubai & Toronto on Sep 24
- Addiction Rehabilitation Leader BioCorRx, Inc. Participates In San Francisco’s eMoneyShow
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged