NCAA Football Week 8 Preview and Free Live Streaming: #9 UCLA vs. #13 Stanford
By Jonar Sabilano | October 18, 2013 4:25 PM EST
Since the Oregon Ducks lost to Auburn in the NCAA FBS championship game in 2010, no other team from the Pac-12 has succeeded in going back to the national title game. In 2013, though, there are four Pac-12 teams in the Associated Press Top 25: #2 Oregon, #9 UCLA, #13 Stanford and #20 Washington.
The UCLA Bruins, at #9, have put together a pretty impressive non-conference schedule, rising from #21 in the preseason rankings to #12 after successive victories over Nevada, #23 Nebraska and #13 New Mexico State. They then won a close game against Utah in Salt Lake City before dismantling the Cal defense in Week 7, 37-10, and earning them a spot in the Top Ten for the first time in 2013. They have been especially effective at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, winning by an average of 37 points, but haven't been as potent on the road.
For their part, Stanford's ranking fell sharply, from #5 as of October 5 to #13 after a shocking 21-27 loss at Utah. The Cardinal are out to redeem themselves at home, where they have gone 3-0 by an average of almost 13 points a game. The knock on the Cardinal is their lack of offense; they have scored over 50 points only once this season and have allowed 22 points each game compared to 18 for UCLA.
This weekend's game will help determine who goes on top in the Pac-12 -- for now, the honor belongs to Oregon, which have gone 3-0 in conference play. But if UCLA trumps Stanford, they tie Oregon for at least a few hours. A Stanford win, on the other hand, will elevate them to 6-1 for a possible tie with Oregon State or solo second place should the Beavers lose against Cal.
One player to watch is Stanford starting quarterback Kevin Hogan, the latest in a long line of tall Stanford quarterbacks in the tradition of Andrew Luck and Josh Nunes. For Stanford, the UCLA game is also the Homecoming game, which means that Stanford Stadium will once again be packed to the rafters -- and even the aisles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation