NCAA Football Week 8 Preview and Free Live Streaming: #9 UCLA vs. #13 Stanford
By Jonar Sabilano | October 18, 2013 4:25 PM EST
Since the Oregon Ducks lost to Auburn in the NCAA FBS championship game in 2010, no other team from the Pac-12 has succeeded in going back to the national title game. In 2013, though, there are four Pac-12 teams in the Associated Press Top 25: #2 Oregon, #9 UCLA, #13 Stanford and #20 Washington.
The UCLA Bruins, at #9, have put together a pretty impressive non-conference schedule, rising from #21 in the preseason rankings to #12 after successive victories over Nevada, #23 Nebraska and #13 New Mexico State. They then won a close game against Utah in Salt Lake City before dismantling the Cal defense in Week 7, 37-10, and earning them a spot in the Top Ten for the first time in 2013. They have been especially effective at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, winning by an average of 37 points, but haven't been as potent on the road.
For their part, Stanford's ranking fell sharply, from #5 as of October 5 to #13 after a shocking 21-27 loss at Utah. The Cardinal are out to redeem themselves at home, where they have gone 3-0 by an average of almost 13 points a game. The knock on the Cardinal is their lack of offense; they have scored over 50 points only once this season and have allowed 22 points each game compared to 18 for UCLA.
This weekend's game will help determine who goes on top in the Pac-12 -- for now, the honor belongs to Oregon, which have gone 3-0 in conference play. But if UCLA trumps Stanford, they tie Oregon for at least a few hours. A Stanford win, on the other hand, will elevate them to 6-1 for a possible tie with Oregon State or solo second place should the Beavers lose against Cal.
One player to watch is Stanford starting quarterback Kevin Hogan, the latest in a long line of tall Stanford quarterbacks in the tradition of Andrew Luck and Josh Nunes. For Stanford, the UCLA game is also the Homecoming game, which means that Stanford Stadium will once again be packed to the rafters -- and even the aisles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman