Toronto Muslim Disappointed After Visiting Mecca
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | October 18, 2013 2:02 PM EST
Toronto Muslim Imad Marikh was disappointed after visiting Mecca, the Holy City for Muslims.
Mr Marikh apparently expected more transformations in his life after he had visited the Holy City. He said that he had hoped to establish a more intense connection with Allah after carrying out the 6,500 mile journey. He said that he had failed to experience any 'cathartic' enlightenment on religious front, The Onion reported.
Mr Marikh, on the other hand, was happy that he could participate in such an Islamic tradition. Visiting Mecca is considered to be one of the most sacred aspects in a life of a practising Muslim. However, he did expect it to be a "bigger deal" than it actually turned out to be. He used to hear the visiting Mecca would bring about a complete change in him as a person. He was also told that it would take him closer to Allah. Ironically, no such thing happened to him as he termed the journey a "let down".
Mr Marikh blames it on his high expectations as well as he said that his expectations in relation to the Mecca trip were significantly high. He said that he had expected to have gained a deeper perspective about the world even though he did not consider him to one of the best travellers. Mr Marikh, on the contrary, felt pretty much the same as he did before taking on the journey. The only moving thing about the journey could be the presence of millions of worshippers, he said.
One of the ancient rituals called 'ṭawāf' involved walking the Kaaba anti-clockwise for 7 times. The ritual too did not turn out to be a 'life-altering' one for him. He was also apprehensive if he was following the procedure correctly as, during the Sa'i (when pilgrims cross back and forth between the al-Marwah and the al-Safa Mountains), he felt that he was only "going through the motions".
Mr Marikh said that visiting Mecca was no greater than visiting the local mosque or reading the Qur'an at home. He, nevertheless, called the journey as his greatest experience in life when he was greeted by his family.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS