Laos Airlines Flight Crashes in Mekong River Killing 49
By Umberto Bacchi | October 17, 2013 3:54 AM EST
Forty-nine people, including some westerners, were killed in a plane crash in Laos.
A state-run Laos Airlines flight from the capital of Vientiane en route to Pakse, southern Laos, came down in the Mekong River as it was coming in to land.
Laos Ministry of Public Works and Transport, which operates the airline, said 44 passengers and five crew members were aboard.
Flight QV301 crashed in the waters of Southeast Asia longest river only 7-8 kilometres (4-5 miles) from Pakse airport.
"Upon preparing to land at Pakse Airport the aircraft ran into extreme bad weather conditions and was reportedly crashed into the Mekong River," the ministry said, adding there was no word of survivors.
"Lao airlines is taking all necessary steps to coordinate and dispatch all rescue units to the accident site in the hope of finding survivors and at the same time informing relatives of the passengers," the ministry said.
The airline said passengers included 17 Lao, seven French, five Australians, five Thais, three Koreans, two Vietnamese and one person each from Canada, China, Malaysia, Taiwan and the United States.
The plane, believed to be a French-Italian manufactured ATR-72 twin-engine turboprop, took off from Vientiane at 1445 local time (0745 GMT) and was supposed to complete the 467-kilometre (290-mile) route in an hour and ten minutes.
Laos Airlines expressed its condolences to the families of the victims in a statement.
The ministry said circumstances of the crash are being investigated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28