Charlotte Church Thrashes Miley Cyrus, Rihanna for Presenting Themselves as Sexual Objects
By Tarun Mazumdar | October 16, 2013 6:16 PM EST
After a series of open letters by Sinead O'Connor to Miley Cyrus, it is time for Singer Charlotte Church to publicly bash not only the "Wrecking Ball" singer but also Rihanna.
In a keynote speech, Church revealed that she was pressurised in her 19s and 20s by the industry to wear provocative clothes in order to gain fame and increase album sales.
She put across strong comments during BBC 6 Music's annual John Peel Lecture. And the thrashing comes as an attack on the prevailing sexism in the music industry because of artists like Miley Cyrus and Rihanna.
Church believes that it "is a male dominated industry with a juvenile perspective on gender and sexuality" and increasingly wants "sex objects that appear child-like."
She blamed the record companies for encouraging young artists to present themselves as sexual objects, unrealistic and cartoonish, thereby making female sexuality a mere award to win.
"The irony behind this is that the women generally filling these roles are very young, often previous child stars or Disney tweens, who are simply interested in getting along in an industry glamorised to be the most desirable career for young women," Church said
She addressed Rihanna's racy music video, "Pour It Up," in which she is a stripper.
"You only have to look at the online response to see that it is only a matter of time until the public turns on an artist for pushing it too far. But the single, like all Rihanna's other provocative hits, will make her male writers, producers and record label guys a ton of money." Church said.
She also remarked that BBC Radio must take the responsibility for the artists the channel promotes. Church said that there must be an age-rating system for music videos.
She concluded by stating that sexualisation of females in the industry has become more of a norm. It has become routine for the labels, the artists as well as the viewers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate