Charlotte Church Thrashes Miley Cyrus, Rihanna for Presenting Themselves as Sexual Objects
By Tarun Mazumdar | October 16, 2013 6:16 PM EST
After a series of open letters by Sinead O'Connor to Miley Cyrus, it is time for Singer Charlotte Church to publicly bash not only the "Wrecking Ball" singer but also Rihanna.
In a keynote speech, Church revealed that she was pressurised in her 19s and 20s by the industry to wear provocative clothes in order to gain fame and increase album sales.
She put across strong comments during BBC 6 Music's annual John Peel Lecture. And the thrashing comes as an attack on the prevailing sexism in the music industry because of artists like Miley Cyrus and Rihanna.
Church believes that it "is a male dominated industry with a juvenile perspective on gender and sexuality" and increasingly wants "sex objects that appear child-like."
She blamed the record companies for encouraging young artists to present themselves as sexual objects, unrealistic and cartoonish, thereby making female sexuality a mere award to win.
"The irony behind this is that the women generally filling these roles are very young, often previous child stars or Disney tweens, who are simply interested in getting along in an industry glamorised to be the most desirable career for young women," Church said
She addressed Rihanna's racy music video, "Pour It Up," in which she is a stripper.
"You only have to look at the online response to see that it is only a matter of time until the public turns on an artist for pushing it too far. But the single, like all Rihanna's other provocative hits, will make her male writers, producers and record label guys a ton of money." Church said.
She also remarked that BBC Radio must take the responsibility for the artists the channel promotes. Church said that there must be an age-rating system for music videos.
She concluded by stating that sexualisation of females in the industry has become more of a norm. It has become routine for the labels, the artists as well as the viewers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June