Masters of Sex showcases a raunchy real-life drama about pioneer sexologists William Masters (portrayed by Michael Sheen) and Virginia Johnson (played by Lizzy Caplan). Their groundbreaking research from the 1950s debunked a lot of assumptions and myths about sex from the medical and psychological fields. Masters and Johnson studied the science of human sexuality by connecting couples doing love-making to the electrodes in the lab.
Photo credit: http://lizzy-caplan.net/galler
The relationship between the cold scientist and the former nightclub singer was partly attraction and repulsion, which makes an interesting match that viewers would want to stay tuned in. Masters hired her to get objective views on sex and convince the subjects to join the research. The sexologists then started engaging in their own "research" and Masters eventually left his wife Libby (Caitlin FitzGerald) for Virginia.
Masters of Sex inevitably displays various unusual and odd sex scenes that Sheen is very familiar with. Being wired while doing physical movements, more so having sex, is always a challenge but he said all of his sex scenes have been unusual and the closest to a conventional sex scene like in 'Wilde' with Stephen Fry. In 'Underworld: Rise of the Lycans,' he had sex with a vampire over a cliff while hanging to the rear. In 'Dirty Filthy Love,' he barked and was covered with chocolate powder while doing the deed.
The art and science of love-making is complex. It is no surprise that there are people who enjoy adding some dangers while doing it. For safety, below is a guide to sex positions that can lead to torn ligaments and sprained muscles. Attempt at your own risk.
1. Triple Lindy: This is a position that calls for both genitals to act as a fulcrum. The woman is safe in the man's immense strength as they pleasure themselves while craning her back like a mermaid. He better drops her on the bed, just in case she becomes too heavy for her own good.
2. Body Builder: Against a wall the woman straddles the man like a koala bear. One of them should not lose grip while in the heat of the moment as sweat can make the support zone slippery. The man's genitals and woman's spine are most vulnerable.
3. Pair of Tongs: The woman dangles in the air held up by her arm, while the man holds her leg up, steps over her other leg and enters. This is not an ideal angle for a man whose genitals could be tugged in the wrong way, bent to a horseshoe shape.
4. London Bridge: The man gets on all fours and bends facing upward. The woman balances and straddles on top of him. The woman's weight could strain the man's ankles and wrists and if he slips, the woman could land right to the man's spinal cord.
With eye-popping, unusual sex scenes aplenty and a fascinating exploratory gadget called Ulysses, Master of Sex has already been compared to the glamor of Mad Men, only with multiple orgasms.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Models' Ramp Walk Aired on Tuesday [PHOTOS]
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Bold, Sexy and Sensuous Lingerie Fashion [PHOTOS]
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Drooling Guys, Conscious Girls, Naughty Jokes on Twitter [SEE PHOTOS]
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Best Pictures From The Sexiest Show Ever [ SEE PHOTOS/VIDEOS]