A new official update based on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with build version XXEMH4, is now available for the international version of Samsung Galaxy S3 bearing model number GT-I9300. The update is rolled out to India and several other countries. It is released over Samsung Kies and available for manual installation via Odin.
4.1.2 Jelly Bean update is available for Galaxy S3 I9300.
Build date: October, 2013
Version: Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
Galaxy S3 users, who wish to update their devices with the new official firmware, may follow our step-by-step guide. It should be noted the I9300XXEMH4 build is an unbranded version of firmware and can be installed on any unlocked GT-I9300 unit, irrespective of country and region.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Before installing the official firmware, users are advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and then check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy S3 should have charge above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Additionally, the custom recovery such as ClockworkMod/TWRP will be replaced by stock recovery.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
8) XXEMH4 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware works only on Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S3 by navigating to Settings>> About device>> Model number.
Steps to install XXEMH4 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
Step-1: Download XXEMH4 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean for Samsung Galaxy S3 to computer
Step-2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using winrar/7zip/winzip or any other extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files
Step-3: Download Odin v3.07. Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe and some other files
Step-4: Switch off Galaxy S3 and wait for five to six seconds for the vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-5: Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until the construction Android robot and a triangle appears on the phone screen. Now press the Volume Up button to continue to enter Download Mode
Step-6: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as Administrator [To do so right click on Odin.exe file then click on Run as administrator from context menu.]
Step-7: Connect the Galaxy S3 to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully an Added message will appear under Odin. Also, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue with the COM port number, indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not come then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. If Odin still fails to recognise the device then re-install USB driver.
Step-8: Select these files extracted from I9300XXEMH4 folder to install on the phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file
b) Click the Phone button and select file with MODEM in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps (step-b, c and d) if such files do not exist.
Step-9: Configure the Odin settings. Ensure that Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin window. But uncheck the Re-Partition option; select it only when a .pit file is being used
Step-10: Double check everything and hit the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take about few minutes to complete
Step-11: When the installation process is completed, the phone will reboot automatically. Also, the successful installation will be indicated by a PASS message with green background in the extreme left box at the very top of Odin. Unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
Galaxy S3 should be now updated with new official firmware, XXEMH4 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. Navigate to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software version running on the device.
How to fix bootloop issue
If the Galaxy S3 gets stuck at booting animation or Samsung logo (after step-11) then place the device into recovery mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Up buttons together. In recovery mode, perform data wiping task by selecting Wipe data/factory reset. Then select Wipe Cache Partition and once the action is completed, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. In recovery mode, use Volume keys to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option. It should be noted that performing wiping task will erase the phone's internal memory data.
Also read: How to install official I9300XXUGMJ9 Android 4.3 on Galaxy S3
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: