October 15, 2013 4:59 AM EST
The Walking Dead Season 4 Premiere, Spoilers: Scott Gimple Teases ‘New Virus,’ Explains Why ‘Nothing Happened’ in Opener [PHOTOS]
The Walking Dead Season 4, Episode 1 called, "30 Days Without an Accident" premiered Sunday (Oct. 14). Fans are quick to react on Twitter how "nothing happened" in the much-awaited season opener. TWD showrunner Scott Gimple explains.
Some things did take place. The Walking Dead Season 4, Episode 1 introduces a new virus -- some walker strain now active outside the prison. It has turned someone inside into a zombie. (Spoiler alert.)
"We mix it up quite a bit. We were starting the story and the velocity ups quite a bit and then it goes in a different direction, then it ups quite a bit," TWD's Scott Gimple tells The Hollywood Reporter during a Walking Dead Season 4 premiere interview.
"The walker that was at the fence that we saw was rather fresh; he's not very rotted. I would intuit that because it's a fresh zombie that the person who died recently was in the same method (new virus?) Patrick died," Gimple notes.
Episode highlights of The Walking Dead Season 4, Episode 1 called, "30 Days Without an Accident"
- Rick (Andrew Lincoln) has found a way to stay well-nourished in prison. Hershel (Scott Wilson) says no one will starve now. And no one has to venture out into the walkers' dining ground. (Except for some supplies.)
- Rick, who will be well-fed, thanks to his farm life, almost turned into food in what is perceived to be the most dragging sequence in the Walking Dead Season 4 premiere episode.
- Daryl (Norman Reedus) wants to go on a supplies search operation. He takes Tyreese (Chad Coleman), Michonne (Danai Gurira), Bob (Larry Gilliard Jr), and Glenn (Steven Yeun). Zach (Kyle Gallner) is with them, too. They later discover the walkers have not gone too far. Then the walkers start dropping like flies - zombie flies!
Walking Dead Season 4: Kyle Gallner as Zach Gets RIP Too Soon
Kyle Gallner, who played Larkin on Beautiful Creatures, was on #TheWalkingDead tonight!
— The Mortal Institute (@TMI_Institute) October 14, 2013
- Almost everyone gets into action, while Bob is trapped beneath a shelf. Daryl and Zach come to his rescue, and it cost Zach his life.
Oh my god Kyle Gallner is in season 4 of TWD and I love him ah he's so beautifullllllll — ♡ lauren ♡ (@laurenofthesea) October 14, 2013
- Maggie (Lauren Cohan) is not pregnant. But in her mind, she's got a picture of being pregnant someday.
- Beth (Emily Kinney) later learns that new boyfriend Zach died. TWD "30 Days Without Accident" is now back to zero.
- A friend of Carl (Chandler Riggs), Patrick (Vincent Martella), is now a zombie. But only the Walking Dead Season 4 premiere viewers know about it. Suddenly, farm prison life is over.
The Walking Dead Season 4, Episode 2: TWD Warms Up for Increasing Action
The video above shows what's next in The Walking Dead Season 4 after what fans described to be a rather boring premiere. The show airs on the U.S. cable channel AMC every Sunday. Check out the slideshow to see fandom posts on Tumblr.
More TV Guide Features:
Arrow Season 2 Spoilers: Stephen Amell Teases 'Awesome' Premiere; Olicity, Dig and Black Canary Level Up [PHOTOS]
The Mentalist Season 6: Bruno Heller Talks Red John, Brett Partridge; Does RJ Mess with Rigsby's Wedding? [PHOTOS, VIDEO]
Revenge Season 3 ‘Confession’ Men: Barry Sloane, Nick Wechsler Suit Up; Justin Hartley Tan and Gorgeus But -- [SPOILERS] [PHOTOS]