Prince George Christening: Kate Middleton and Prince William Pick Friends Over Family as Godparents
By Hannah Osborne | October 14, 2013 8:11 PM EST
Kate Middleton and Prince William have picked friends over members of the royal family to be Prince George's godparents in another break with tradition.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge want to give the royal baby a "sense of stability and normality", a source said.
Kate chose her Marlborough College school friend Emilia d'Erlanger, who helped comfort the Duchess on a 2007 holiday to Ibiza after she and William broke up.
D'Erlanger is also a lifelong friend of William and was one of the people who introduced Kate to William's inner circle before they attended St Andrews University.
Williams' Eton and St Andrews school friend Fergus Boyd has also been chosen as godfather. He was sitting next to William during the famous fashion show where Kate wore a transparent dress.
William reportedly whispered "wow, Kate's hot" as she strutted down the catwalk at the 2002 university fashion show.
Boyd studied art history with Kate and all three shared a farmhouse during their time at St Andrews on the Strathtyrum Estate.
Both Boyd and d'Erlanger are relatively unknown in royal circles, so their selection came as a surprise to many.
A royal source said: "They are rather unexpected off-the-wall choices for godparents. They are certainly not the usual suspects of William's closest friends who we anticipated.
"The two of them have carefully chosen and agreed them together."
The third godparent to be announced is William's friend Hugh van Cutsem, whose late father was a friend of Prince Charles. William was an usher at his wedding and is godfather to his daughter Grace.
Kate and William's godparent choices are in stark contrast to Prince Charles and Princess Diana's selection for the Duke.
William's godparents included ex-King Constantine of Greece, Princess Alexandra and the Duchess of Westminster.
The couple still have three more godparents to pick. It is thought Pippa Middleton and Prince Harry will take two spots, while other favourites for the final spot include William's St Andrews friends Oliver Baker and Alasdair Coutts-Wood, and Kate's friends Alicia Fox-Pitt, Virginia Fraser and Olivia Bleasdale.
Kate and William will christen Prince George on 23 October in an "intimate, family affair" at the Chapel Royal in St James' Palace.
The guest list is yet to be announced but the Daily Mail claims several senior royal family members have been excluded, including William's aunts and uncles Prince Andrew, Prince Edward, Princess Anne and Sophie, Countess of Wessex.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage