2013-14 NBA Season Preview and Predictions: Wall’s Washington Wizards
By James Patrick Quizon | October 11, 2013 3:09 PM EST
After an $80M contract extension for John Wall, it’s now time to prove for the supposed elite point guard that he can carry the Washington Wizards to greater heights in the 2013-2014 NBA season.
Can he prove that indeed he’s one of the best court generals in the league? Can a combination of veterans and youngsters be a good mix to at least challenge for a playoff spot in the tough Eastern Conference?
2013-14 Washington Wizards Projected Depth Chart
PG – John Wall/Eric Maynor/Garret Temple
SG – Bradley Beal/Martell Webster/Chris Singleton
SF – Otto Porter Jr./Trevor Ariza/Josh Childress
PF – Nene/Trevor Booker/Al Harrington/Jan Vesely
C – Emeka Okafor/Kevin Seraphin
3 Reasons Why the Wizards Will Surprise This Season
1. A Whole Wide of Wall - John Wall has never had a full season in his NBA career. He missed 13 games in his first year (2010-2011), 16 games in his second year and 33 games in his third year. Despite the health risks, the Washington front office trusted him the keys to the franchise by awarding him a 5-year contract extension worth roughly $80 million. In 49 games-- 42 started—in the 2012-2013 season, Wall logged 18.5 points, 4.0 rebounds, 7.6 assists and 1.3 steals per game.
2. Backcourt Buddies– Aside from Wall, another player who holds a lot of promise is shooting guard Bradley Beal. The 6-foot-5 shooting guard out of Florida averaged 13.9 PPG on 41 per cent shooting. Beal’s best performance last season was a 29-point, 11-rebound output in a loss vs. the New York Knicks.
To address depth in the wings, the Wizard still have veterans Martell Webster and Trevor Ariza and have added another veteran in Josh Childress.
3. Old but Steady Frontcourt – The Wizards frontcourt has no big name to speak of but it’s filled with veterans that can mentor the young guns until they are ready. Nene and Emeka Okafor have 11 and 9 years experience under their belts, respectively and both can be serviceable players when healthy. They also signed veteran stretch four Al Harrington during the summer.
One undeveloped prospect they have is 23-year-old Jan Vesely, the overall sixth pick in the 2011 NBA Draft. Entering his third year, the 6-foot-11 forward has to contribute this season or be tabbed as just another European bust.
Fearless Forecast: 36 wins … and misses the playoffs. With a healthy Wall and Nene, this team has a solid starting five. Although the bench is full of NBA vets, they might still lack the firepower to make a serious run at the 8th seed in the East.
Other 2013-2014 NBA Teams Previews:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate