2013-14 NBA Season Preview and Predictions: Wall’s Washington Wizards
By James Patrick Quizon | October 11, 2013 3:09 PM EST
After an $80M contract extension for John Wall, it’s now time to prove for the supposed elite point guard that he can carry the Washington Wizards to greater heights in the 2013-2014 NBA season.
Can he prove that indeed he’s one of the best court generals in the league? Can a combination of veterans and youngsters be a good mix to at least challenge for a playoff spot in the tough Eastern Conference?
2013-14 Washington Wizards Projected Depth Chart
PG – John Wall/Eric Maynor/Garret Temple
SG – Bradley Beal/Martell Webster/Chris Singleton
SF – Otto Porter Jr./Trevor Ariza/Josh Childress
PF – Nene/Trevor Booker/Al Harrington/Jan Vesely
C – Emeka Okafor/Kevin Seraphin
3 Reasons Why the Wizards Will Surprise This Season
1. A Whole Wide of Wall - John Wall has never had a full season in his NBA career. He missed 13 games in his first year (2010-2011), 16 games in his second year and 33 games in his third year. Despite the health risks, the Washington front office trusted him the keys to the franchise by awarding him a 5-year contract extension worth roughly $80 million. In 49 games-- 42 started—in the 2012-2013 season, Wall logged 18.5 points, 4.0 rebounds, 7.6 assists and 1.3 steals per game.
2. Backcourt Buddies– Aside from Wall, another player who holds a lot of promise is shooting guard Bradley Beal. The 6-foot-5 shooting guard out of Florida averaged 13.9 PPG on 41 per cent shooting. Beal’s best performance last season was a 29-point, 11-rebound output in a loss vs. the New York Knicks.
To address depth in the wings, the Wizard still have veterans Martell Webster and Trevor Ariza and have added another veteran in Josh Childress.
3. Old but Steady Frontcourt – The Wizards frontcourt has no big name to speak of but it’s filled with veterans that can mentor the young guns until they are ready. Nene and Emeka Okafor have 11 and 9 years experience under their belts, respectively and both can be serviceable players when healthy. They also signed veteran stretch four Al Harrington during the summer.
One undeveloped prospect they have is 23-year-old Jan Vesely, the overall sixth pick in the 2011 NBA Draft. Entering his third year, the 6-foot-11 forward has to contribute this season or be tabbed as just another European bust.
Fearless Forecast: 36 wins … and misses the playoffs. With a healthy Wall and Nene, this team has a solid starting five. Although the bench is full of NBA vets, they might still lack the firepower to make a serious run at the 8th seed in the East.
Other 2013-2014 NBA Teams Previews:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display