Gay Boxer Orlando Cruz to Wear Pink Gloves and Rainbow Trunks to Support LGBT and Breast Cancer Awareness
By Rachelle Corpuz | October 11, 2013 3:07 PM EST
Orlando Cruz will wear rainbow trunks and pink gloves on his Las Vegas bout on Oct 12 when he fights Orlando Salido for the vacant WBO featherweight championship title at the Thomas & Mack Center. Cruz has a record of 20 wins, 2 losses, and 1 draw, 10 of which are won by knockouts. Salido, on the other hand, has 39 wins, 12 losses, and 7 draws, 27 of which are also won by knockouts.
Cruz is out and definitely, proud! "I have been fighting for 24 years and as I continue my ascendant in my career, I want to be true to myself," Cruz said in a statement when he first told the public about his sexual orientation. "I want to try to be the best representation I can be for kids who might look into boxing as a professional career or as a sport," Cruz added.
After he came out, Cruz has become an inspiration to many. Cruz is set to marry his boyfriend Jose Manuel on Nov 16 in New York City.
Here's the picture of the said outfit that Cruz will wear on his bout. The American boxing brand Everlast created the outfit in partnership with Cruz.
As you can see, the outfit shows the flag of Puerto Rico with the colors of the rainbow. Rainbow symbolises the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community. You will also see a pair of pink gloves, and as we all know, the color pink is widely being used to represent breast cancer awareness.
However, some Puerto Ricans were not pleased to see Cruz's boxing outfit and reacted in an unreceptive manner.
"If anyone is offended, I apologize," Cruz told El Vocero's boxing writer and columnist Carlos Narvaez. "I neither participated in any misconduct nor denied my country, I never thought that this would cause a stir in Puerto Rico," Cruz said. "I am Puerto Rican and I will fight with the Puerto Rican flag held high for my homeland, and it was never my intention to cause any scandal," Cruz added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales