Owners of the Samsung Galaxy SL GT-I9003 can only update their smartphone with Samsung's Android 2.3 Gingerbread firmware but third-party developers managed to make Android 4.3 Jelly Bean software. Know the features and steps on how to manually upgrade your device.
Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 with Android 4.3
Samsung Galaxy SL is equipped with 1GHz single-core processor and almost 512MB of RAM with PowerVR graphics chipset. Third-party developers managed to create an Android 4.3 Jelly Bean for the smartphone which features the following:
- OpenGL ES 3.0 for improved 3D graphics
- Bluetooth Smart or Low Energy
- Virtual Surround Sound
- Auto-complete on the dial pad
- Improved keyboard input
- Google Now
- Project Butter
- Actionable Notifications
- Quick Settings
- Lock screen Widgets
1. Apply the firmware to Samsung Galaxy GT-I9003 SL smartphone only.
2. Create a backup of all personal information, settings and data files on your device. Don't use the Samsung Kies to create backup as this firmware is customised. Manually create backup files.
3. Root your Samsung Galaxy SL to flash the custom ROM.
4. Enable the USB debugging mode on your smartphone. Go to "Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging."
5. Download and install a ROM manager for your smartphone.
6. Download the Android 4.3 custom firmware to your computer.
Warning: This firmware is a customised ROM which may damage your smartphone via manual installation. We are not responsible for any possible errors or damages which may occur on your handset. Read, understand and follow the instructions properly to prevent damaging your Galaxy SL. Do this at own risk.
1. Use the ROM manager application to install a custom recovery image.
2. Connect your Samsung Galaxy SL to the computer using a USB cable.
3. Copy the Android 4.3 custom ROM and paste it to the SD card of your smartphone. Don't extract the zip file.
4. Disconnect your device from the computer.
5. Launch the ROM manager app again and reboot into recovery mode.
6. Inside the recovery mode, create a Nandroid backup of the current ROM. Select "backup and restore > backup." The saved ROM is located inside the SD card which you may need to use for restoration.
7. Now perform a full wipe on your smartphone. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition." Then go to "advanced > wipe Dalvik cache."
8. Install the zip file you have copied earlier by selecting "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > choose the Android 4.3 custom ROM > confirm installation."
9. Once the installation has been completed, go back to the main menu then select "reboot system now."
10. Your smartphone will restart automatically and may need to take up to five minutes before reaching the home screen.
Congratulations! Your Samsung Galaxy SL is now running the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware. If you have any bugs or errors to report, send your feedback to Android Advices main page.
To contact the editor, e-mail: