Galaxy Tab 2 P3100 is yet to receive its first Android 4.3 firmware from Samsung. However, the tablet users can still enjoy the latest Jelly Bean features on their device, thanks to the release of SlimBean Build 1 official ROM by SlimROMs team.
In line with its tradition, the SlimBean official ROM offers a very fast and stable Jelly Bean experience in a lightweight package. The installation of this firmware requires the device to be rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery pre-installed.
NOTE: Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any device damage during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Head over to the official developer page to read about the complete list of features and bug-fixes ported into the latest SlimBean ROM.
- The SlimBean official ROM and instructions provided in this guide are meant for Galaxy Tab 2 P3100 model only. Do not attempt installing the firmware on any other model, as you might end up bricking the device.
- Ensure the device is factory unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery or TWRP installed on it.
- Back up important data and settings on the tablet via one of the custom recovery tools such as CWM or TWRP to prevent data loss during firmware installation.
- Ensure the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Enable USB Debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if tablet is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier). If the device is running Android 4.2, then perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Tablet
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap Build number seven times to unlock or reveal hidden Developer Options. Now, select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
How to Install Android 4.3 SlimBean Official ROM on Galaxy Tab 2 P3100
- DownloadAndroid 4.3 SlimBean Stable ROM and Google Apps package for Galaxy Tab 2 P3100 on computer.
- Connect the phone to computer via original USB cable and copy the downloaded SlimBean official ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the tablet's SD card.
- Power off the tablet, boot it into Bootloader Mode, and then enter Recovery mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Up and Power buttons together. Note: In recovery mode, use Volume buttons to navigate between options and Power button to select the desired option.
- Before flashing the new ROM do the following steps in CWM recovery:
> wipe data/factory reset
> wipe cache
> go to "advanced" and perform wipe dalvik cache
> go to "mounts and storage" and format system
- In CWM recovery, click Install Zip from SD card and select the ROM zip file copied earlier to the tablet's SD card (repeat this step for installing Google Apps as well). After selecting the ROM file, allow the ROM to be installed on the device. This process may take about five minutes to complete.
- After the device is updated, hit Reboot System Now to reboot the tablet into the newly installed ROM.
SlimBean official ROM is now successfully installed on your Galaxy Tab 2. Go to Settings > About Tablet to check the firmware version installed.
[Source: XDA Developers]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: