NBA Preseason Preview: Houston Rockets vs Indiana
By Deepak Vikraman | October 10, 2013 4:48 PM EST
The NBA comes for the first time to South-East Asian shores as Dwight Howard, Jeremy Lin and the Houston Rockets take on the Indiana Pacers in a preseason game in Manila, Philippines.
The Rockets are expected to be one of the most exciting teams this year after landing the biggest free agent of the summer - Howard.
The big center chose the Rockets, despite having the likes of Los Angeles Lakers and the Dallas Mavericks queuing up for his signature.
"I love these guys," Howard said on Wednesday during a practice session in Manila ahead of the game. "We love being around each other. We're looking forward to the season."
With James Harden and Lin already in their books, the Rockets now have a marquee center at their disposal as well, making Houston one of the early-season contenders in the Western Conference.
The first few games of the regular season will tell us just how far this Houston side can progress; but before that there are a couple of preseason games in Asia to negotiate, with the first one against the Pacers, perennial contenders in the Eastern Conference and looking for a way to get past the Miami Heat.
"On paper it sounds good but we have to compete at a high level every night," Harden was quoted as saying by the Wall Street Journal. "One thing is, however, certain after playing a year together. Our chemistry has risen to a new level."
Last season, the Pacers eased to two victories over the Rockets, with Harden struggling in both games. However, the Houston guard expects a much better performance from his team this time around.
"I think they gave us the most trouble last year as far as the way they played, especially me," Harden said. "I'm looking forward to the challenge of facing it early to kind of get me better prepared for the season.
"And as far as the individual matchup, Paul George is a great player. So I'll be trying to test what I've been working on all summer against one of the best up-and-coming players.
"With teams like that, you have to move the basketball. You have to share the basketball and everybody has to get involved because once you hold the ball, they load up and that's when they're great. Then having a threat like Dwight for lobs to the rim is going to make it a lot easier for us.
"We're still learning from each other, so tomorrow's (Thursday's) going to be a big test for us as far as our opponent and also getting a feel for each other."
Where to watch
The game is scheduled for a 5.00 p.m. (IST) start with no live telecast scheduled.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories