NBA Preseason Preview: Houston Rockets vs Indiana
By Deepak Vikraman | October 10, 2013 4:48 PM EST
The NBA comes for the first time to South-East Asian shores as Dwight Howard, Jeremy Lin and the Houston Rockets take on the Indiana Pacers in a preseason game in Manila, Philippines.
The Rockets are expected to be one of the most exciting teams this year after landing the biggest free agent of the summer - Howard.
The big center chose the Rockets, despite having the likes of Los Angeles Lakers and the Dallas Mavericks queuing up for his signature.
"I love these guys," Howard said on Wednesday during a practice session in Manila ahead of the game. "We love being around each other. We're looking forward to the season."
With James Harden and Lin already in their books, the Rockets now have a marquee center at their disposal as well, making Houston one of the early-season contenders in the Western Conference.
The first few games of the regular season will tell us just how far this Houston side can progress; but before that there are a couple of preseason games in Asia to negotiate, with the first one against the Pacers, perennial contenders in the Eastern Conference and looking for a way to get past the Miami Heat.
"On paper it sounds good but we have to compete at a high level every night," Harden was quoted as saying by the Wall Street Journal. "One thing is, however, certain after playing a year together. Our chemistry has risen to a new level."
Last season, the Pacers eased to two victories over the Rockets, with Harden struggling in both games. However, the Houston guard expects a much better performance from his team this time around.
"I think they gave us the most trouble last year as far as the way they played, especially me," Harden said. "I'm looking forward to the challenge of facing it early to kind of get me better prepared for the season.
"And as far as the individual matchup, Paul George is a great player. So I'll be trying to test what I've been working on all summer against one of the best up-and-coming players.
"With teams like that, you have to move the basketball. You have to share the basketball and everybody has to get involved because once you hold the ball, they load up and that's when they're great. Then having a threat like Dwight for lobs to the rim is going to make it a lot easier for us.
"We're still learning from each other, so tomorrow's (Thursday's) going to be a big test for us as far as our opponent and also getting a feel for each other."
Where to watch
The game is scheduled for a 5.00 p.m. (IST) start with no live telecast scheduled.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff