NBA Global Games Manila Philippines Preview: Indiana Pacers vs. Houston Rockets
By Jonar Sabilano | October 10, 2013 3:54 PM EST
Realising that it does have a burgeoning market in Southeast Asia, the NBA is reaching out to the Philippines as part of its campaign to expand globally. The Philippines is a basketball-crazy country, with almost the entire archipelago stopping whenever a big game, whether local or NBA, is being played.
On Thursday, all roads lead to the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City, south of Manila, as the Indiana Pacers take on the Houston Rockets in the NBA Global Games. A massive crowd is expected, with tickets selling out a few days after the game was announced in June. While previous games featuring NBA players have always drawn huge turnouts, this is the first time that the NBA will hold an official pre-season game in the Philippines.
The Rockets and the Pacers are evenly matched across the board. The Pacers boast first-time All-Star Paul George, who upped his production to 17.4 points per game in 2012-13; the resurgent Danny Granger, who is looking to bounce back from an injury that kept him to playing just five games; and power forward David West, who enjoyed his best Pacers season, averaging 17.1 points.
The Pacers, on the other hand, have their own version of the Big Three. They are led by cerebral point guard Jeremy Lin, the first Taiwanese-American in the NBA; All-Star James Harden, who had a career-best 25.9 points a game in his first year with Houston, and center Dwight Howard, who was acquired from the Los Angeles Lakers in the off-season.
One match-up to watch out for would be the one pitting Paul George and James Harden. While they play different positions, both are explosive scorers who can carry their teams. Dwight Howard is expected to have his hands full against Roy Hibbert, who averaged 2.6 blocks per game in 2012-13. Jeremy Lin is also a crowd favorite due to his Asian ethnicity and inspiring story that was made into a film, "Linsanity".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best