NBA Global Games Manila Philippines Preview: Indiana Pacers vs. Houston Rockets
By Jonar Sabilano | October 10, 2013 3:54 PM EST
Realising that it does have a burgeoning market in Southeast Asia, the NBA is reaching out to the Philippines as part of its campaign to expand globally. The Philippines is a basketball-crazy country, with almost the entire archipelago stopping whenever a big game, whether local or NBA, is being played.
On Thursday, all roads lead to the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City, south of Manila, as the Indiana Pacers take on the Houston Rockets in the NBA Global Games. A massive crowd is expected, with tickets selling out a few days after the game was announced in June. While previous games featuring NBA players have always drawn huge turnouts, this is the first time that the NBA will hold an official pre-season game in the Philippines.
The Rockets and the Pacers are evenly matched across the board. The Pacers boast first-time All-Star Paul George, who upped his production to 17.4 points per game in 2012-13; the resurgent Danny Granger, who is looking to bounce back from an injury that kept him to playing just five games; and power forward David West, who enjoyed his best Pacers season, averaging 17.1 points.
The Pacers, on the other hand, have their own version of the Big Three. They are led by cerebral point guard Jeremy Lin, the first Taiwanese-American in the NBA; All-Star James Harden, who had a career-best 25.9 points a game in his first year with Houston, and center Dwight Howard, who was acquired from the Los Angeles Lakers in the off-season.
One match-up to watch out for would be the one pitting Paul George and James Harden. While they play different positions, both are explosive scorers who can carry their teams. Dwight Howard is expected to have his hands full against Roy Hibbert, who averaged 2.6 blocks per game in 2012-13. Jeremy Lin is also a crowd favorite due to his Asian ethnicity and inspiring story that was made into a film, "Linsanity".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]