NFL Preview and Live Stream: New York Giants vs. Chicago Bears
By Jonar Sabilano | October 10, 2013 3:41 PM EST
Barely two years removed from their 2011 Super Bowl win, the New York Giants are in the doldrums. They finished the 2012 season 9-7 and missed the playoffs. In 2013, they are even worse: the Giants are 0-5, including a shutout 0-38 loss to the Carolina Panthers on the road. This year, 2013, marks their first 0-5 start since 1987 when the NFL season was hit by a strike.
The Chicago Bears are only slightly better, losing two straight after winning their first three games. They lost to the New Orleans Saints at home, 18-26, after a disastrous visit to the suddenly resurgent Detroit Lions, to whom they lost 32-40.
The Giants' chances of making it to the Super Bowl, to be played in MetLife Stadium, still rest on the shoulders of Eli Manning who has been struggling as of late. Manning threw for three interceptions against the bottom-dwelling Philadelphia Eagles and has a mediocre 65.8 passing rate. While Manning does share the blame, a large chunk of it also goes to the offensive line, who have managed just 56.8 rushing yards a game, worst in the NFL. David Wilson, who has the bulk of what little rushing the Giants have done, is also out for the game due to an injury.
The Bears, on the other hand, are not really known for their offense, despite a 3-0 start. Defense has been their hallmark this season, and when they lost, it was due to a lack of defense -- the Lions were able to score 40 points on them, while they failed to force a crucial turnover that would have turned the game around against the Saints. Their offense, though, is something to behold as Jay Cutler has evolved into a reliable wide receiver in lieu of Brandon Marshall.
Common sense tells the casual viewer to bet on the team with the better record. But something tells us that the Giants are due to get their first win of the season. If not, expect heads to roll when they come back from Soldier Field.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales