Top 10 Richest People in the World: Carlos Slim Helu, Bill Gates, Amancio Ortega and Others [PHOTOS]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 9, 2013 11:07 PM EST
The number of billionaires across the world has risen from 1,226 in 2012 to 1,426 this year, with the US topping the list with 442, followed by Asia-Pacific (386), Europe (366), the Americas (129) and the Middle East & Africa (103), according to Forbes magazine.
Carlos Slim Helu from Mexico is the richest man in the world, followed by Bill Gates, Amancio Ortega and Warren Buffett. Charles Koch, David Koch and Liliane Bettencourt and family making it to the top 10. Eike Batista, Stefan Persson and Karl Albrecht lost their positions in this list.
Here is Forbes' list of the 10 richest people in the world:
1) Carlos Slim Helu: The Mexican telecom mogul is the richest man in the world with a net worth of $73 billion, which is $4 billion up from 2012. He has retained the top spot for the fourth consecutive year.
2) Bill Gates: The co-founder of Microsoft comes second with net worth of $67 billion, which is $6 billion more than what he earned in 2012. He has gained from investments like Ecolab, Republic Services and FEMSA.
3) Amancio Ortega: He jumped two places, overtaking Warren Buffett and Bernard Arnault, to become the world's third richest man. His net worth is $57 billion, $19.5 billion up from his 2012's $37.5 billion. He holds 60 percent share of clothing retailer Inditex.
4) Warren Buffett: He has slipped from third place in 2012 to fourth place in the list of world's richest people. The chairman and CEO of Berkshire has a net worth of $53.5 billion, as against $46 billion in 2012.
5) Larry Ellison: The CEO of Oracle is the fifth richest with $43 billion. He was in the sixth place last year with a fortune of $36 billion. He has also ventured into real estate and aviation.
6) Charles Koch: He has made it to the top 10 list, overtaking the likes of Eike Batista, Stefan Persson and Karl Albrecht. His net worth is $34 billion. He and his brother David hold 80 percent of Koch Industries.
7) David Koch: His net worth is $34 billion. He and his brother Charles 80 percent of Koch Industries. The Koch brothers' net worth was up by nine percent each this year.
8) Li Ka-shing: He is Asia's richest person with net worth of $31 billion. The chairman of Hutchison Whampoa Limited was world's ninth richest man in 2012. His wealth increased by $5.5 billion in 2013.
9) Liliane Bettencourt and family: The 90-year-old L'Oreal heiress has a net worth of $30 billion, up $6 billion this year after shares of the cosmetic firm surged this year.
10) Bernard Arnault: The 63-year-old man from France, who is the Chairman of Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy, slipped from fourth to 10th place. His net worth fell from $41 billion in 2012 to $29 billion in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best