Team USA Soccer Superstar Abby Wambach Marries Long-time GF in Hawaii
By Rachelle Corpuz | October 9, 2013 2:07 PM EST
Abby Wambach married her long-time girlfriend Sarah Huffman on Saturday. The matrimonial ceremony was held at the Villas at Poipu Kai in Kauai, Hawaii. TMZ reported that only the couple's closest relatives and friends were invited to witness them exchanging I do's.
Wambach is an American professional soccer player who currently plays for the U.S. women's national soccer team and for the Western New York Flash. Her girlfriend, Sarah Huffman, is also a professional soccer player.
Huffman used to play for the women's national team at different age brackets, and in 2013, she signed up with Wambach's team too.
Huffman posted a picture on her official Twitter account showing the waves at Kauai.
Wambach does a good job in keeping her personal life private as much as possible. She has never publicly commented on her sexual orientation. Huffman, on the other hand, came out as a lesbian in a statement released by the Athlete Ally Web site. Huffman did so in order to promote and support equality in sports.
"I dream of a world full of equal chances and opportunities as well as treatment and I am proud to be an athlete ally," Huffman said. "Discrimination based upon race, gender, and sexual orientation should have no place in the world, especially in sports because I believe it is place where everybody belongs," she added. "I am thrilled to be an ally and stand up for individuals like me in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community.
Well, it can never be really easy for women to get the same treatment in sports such as soccer, which is dominated by men. People will never really look at women with the same eyes as for instance, David Beckham or Cristiano Ronaldo. Many people will always query women's capability. It is nice for Huffman to stand up and speak for everyone like her.
Congratulations and best wishes to Abby Wambach and Sarah Huffman. We can only wish them a happy married life that lasts a lifetime. Here's a picture of Wambach and Huffman together, obtained from the Twitter account of Women's Pro Soccer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change