Team USA Soccer Superstar Abby Wambach Marries Long-time GF in Hawaii
By Rachelle Corpuz | October 9, 2013 2:07 PM EST
Abby Wambach married her long-time girlfriend Sarah Huffman on Saturday. The matrimonial ceremony was held at the Villas at Poipu Kai in Kauai, Hawaii. TMZ reported that only the couple's closest relatives and friends were invited to witness them exchanging I do's.
Wambach is an American professional soccer player who currently plays for the U.S. women's national soccer team and for the Western New York Flash. Her girlfriend, Sarah Huffman, is also a professional soccer player.
Huffman used to play for the women's national team at different age brackets, and in 2013, she signed up with Wambach's team too.
Huffman posted a picture on her official Twitter account showing the waves at Kauai.
Wambach does a good job in keeping her personal life private as much as possible. She has never publicly commented on her sexual orientation. Huffman, on the other hand, came out as a lesbian in a statement released by the Athlete Ally Web site. Huffman did so in order to promote and support equality in sports.
"I dream of a world full of equal chances and opportunities as well as treatment and I am proud to be an athlete ally," Huffman said. "Discrimination based upon race, gender, and sexual orientation should have no place in the world, especially in sports because I believe it is place where everybody belongs," she added. "I am thrilled to be an ally and stand up for individuals like me in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community.
Well, it can never be really easy for women to get the same treatment in sports such as soccer, which is dominated by men. People will never really look at women with the same eyes as for instance, David Beckham or Cristiano Ronaldo. Many people will always query women's capability. It is nice for Huffman to stand up and speak for everyone like her.
Congratulations and best wishes to Abby Wambach and Sarah Huffman. We can only wish them a happy married life that lasts a lifetime. Here's a picture of Wambach and Huffman together, obtained from the Twitter account of Women's Pro Soccer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares