Team USA Soccer Superstar Abby Wambach Marries Long-time GF in Hawaii
By Rachelle Corpuz | October 9, 2013 2:07 PM EST
Abby Wambach married her long-time girlfriend Sarah Huffman on Saturday. The matrimonial ceremony was held at the Villas at Poipu Kai in Kauai, Hawaii. TMZ reported that only the couple's closest relatives and friends were invited to witness them exchanging I do's.
Wambach is an American professional soccer player who currently plays for the U.S. women's national soccer team and for the Western New York Flash. Her girlfriend, Sarah Huffman, is also a professional soccer player.
Huffman used to play for the women's national team at different age brackets, and in 2013, she signed up with Wambach's team too.
Huffman posted a picture on her official Twitter account showing the waves at Kauai.
Wambach does a good job in keeping her personal life private as much as possible. She has never publicly commented on her sexual orientation. Huffman, on the other hand, came out as a lesbian in a statement released by the Athlete Ally Web site. Huffman did so in order to promote and support equality in sports.
"I dream of a world full of equal chances and opportunities as well as treatment and I am proud to be an athlete ally," Huffman said. "Discrimination based upon race, gender, and sexual orientation should have no place in the world, especially in sports because I believe it is place where everybody belongs," she added. "I am thrilled to be an ally and stand up for individuals like me in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community.
Well, it can never be really easy for women to get the same treatment in sports such as soccer, which is dominated by men. People will never really look at women with the same eyes as for instance, David Beckham or Cristiano Ronaldo. Many people will always query women's capability. It is nice for Huffman to stand up and speak for everyone like her.
Congratulations and best wishes to Abby Wambach and Sarah Huffman. We can only wish them a happy married life that lasts a lifetime. Here's a picture of Wambach and Huffman together, obtained from the Twitter account of Women's Pro Soccer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money