Team USA Soccer Superstar Abby Wambach Marries Long-time GF in Hawaii
By Rachelle Corpuz | October 9, 2013 2:07 PM EST
Abby Wambach married her long-time girlfriend Sarah Huffman on Saturday. The matrimonial ceremony was held at the Villas at Poipu Kai in Kauai, Hawaii. TMZ reported that only the couple's closest relatives and friends were invited to witness them exchanging I do's.
Wambach is an American professional soccer player who currently plays for the U.S. women's national soccer team and for the Western New York Flash. Her girlfriend, Sarah Huffman, is also a professional soccer player.
Huffman used to play for the women's national team at different age brackets, and in 2013, she signed up with Wambach's team too.
Huffman posted a picture on her official Twitter account showing the waves at Kauai.
Wambach does a good job in keeping her personal life private as much as possible. She has never publicly commented on her sexual orientation. Huffman, on the other hand, came out as a lesbian in a statement released by the Athlete Ally Web site. Huffman did so in order to promote and support equality in sports.
"I dream of a world full of equal chances and opportunities as well as treatment and I am proud to be an athlete ally," Huffman said. "Discrimination based upon race, gender, and sexual orientation should have no place in the world, especially in sports because I believe it is place where everybody belongs," she added. "I am thrilled to be an ally and stand up for individuals like me in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community.
Well, it can never be really easy for women to get the same treatment in sports such as soccer, which is dominated by men. People will never really look at women with the same eyes as for instance, David Beckham or Cristiano Ronaldo. Many people will always query women's capability. It is nice for Huffman to stand up and speak for everyone like her.
Congratulations and best wishes to Abby Wambach and Sarah Huffman. We can only wish them a happy married life that lasts a lifetime. Here's a picture of Wambach and Huffman together, obtained from the Twitter account of Women's Pro Soccer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy