Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is expected to get Android 4.3 Jelly Bean but the firmware hasn't been pushed yet among owners. If you want to be ahead on using Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, a custom ROM is available for manual flashing with complete Android features and free from bloatware.
SlimBean ROM with Android 4.3 on Galaxy Note 2
Galaxy Note N7100 is compatible with the Android 4.3 version of SlimBean ROM, based on the original Android OS. SlimBean includes all Android 4.3 features such as OpenGL ES 3.0, Bluetooth Smart, Virtual Surround Sound and additions which allow customisation and performance improvements on the phablet.
Android 4.1 and 4.2 features are still included in the custom ROM such as:
- Project Butter
- Google Now
- Lock Screen Widgets
- Actionable Notifications
- Extended Quick Settings
SlimBean developers included certain features for users.
- Real Dark theme
- Notification drawer and lock screen shortcuts
- Customisable Quick Settings tiles
- SlimPie launcher
- Built-in SlimBean ROM OTA Updater
Warning: Flashing a custom ROM may damage your device. We are liable for any possible errors or damages which may occur on your Galaxy Note 2. Read, understand and follow the instructions carefully to avoid damaging it. Do this at your own risk.
1. This firmware is only compatible with Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 model. Do not flash it to other models or variants.
2. The phablet must be unlocked from any network carrier or you won't be able to install the ROM.
3. Unlock its Bootloader, Root and Install a ClockworkMod recovery on your Galaxy Note 2. Click here all files and instructions required.
4. Install all necessary USB drivers for your Galaxy Note 2 on your computer.
5. Create a backup of all personal information, settings and data files on your device.
6. Ensure that the battery level is at least 50 per cent.
7. Enable USB debugging mode on your device. Go to "Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging mode" or "Settings > Developer Options > USB debugging mode" depending on which Android OS is running your device.
8. Download the SlimBean Android 4.3 ROM and the Slim Google Apps package.
1. Connect the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to your computer via USB cable.
2. Copy the SlimBean custom ROM and the Google Apps package then paste them to the SD card of the Galaxy Note. Never extract any of them.
3. Disconnect the phablet from the computer then switch it off.
4. Reboot the device into recovery mode. Press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power keys at the same time till the Samsung logo appears.
5. Inside the Recovery mode, create a Nandroid backup of the current ROM. Select "backup and restores > backup." The saved ROM is stored in the SD card and you can restore it anytime.
6. Perform a full wipe on your device. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition." Then select "advanced > wipe Dalvik cache."
7. After the full wipe, go back to the main menu then install the SlimBean Android 4.3 ROM. Select "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD > Slim Bean Android 4.3 ROM > confirm installation." Apply the same with the Google Apps.
8. Once the installation has been completed, go back then select "reboot system now."
9. Your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 will reboot automatically and may require up to five minutes reaching the home screen. Be patient.
All done! Your Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 is now running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean using the SlimBean custom ROM. Go to "Settings > About device > Android version" to confirm successful installation and current build.
In case you have any issues or problems especially with the S Pen, send your feedback to Bugs Section of Slim Bean Web site.
To contact the editor, e-mail: