Owners of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100 may have to wait longer for an official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean due to Samsung's workload to push the update for Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2. Currently, the tablet is only upgradable to Android 4.1, and it is unclear when the next update will arrive. If you want Android 4.3 now, there is a firmware available for you.
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Custom ROM
Meet the SlimBean custom ROM running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean compatible for your the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. It includes all Android 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 features such as Google Now, Project Butter, actionable notifications, lock screen widgets, OpenGL ES 3.0, Bluetooth Smart and more, plus new additions to make your device customisable, faster and update automatically.
SlimBean ROM supports Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware which based from AOSP version and now available for the first-gen Galaxy Note. It delivers features not found on the official Android 4.1.2 version such as Bluetooth Smart and OpenGL ES 3.0. In addition, developers optimised the device to make it more stable, faster and smoother compared to what Samsung may release.
SlimBean ROM includes the following modifications:
- Real Dark theme
- Notification drawer and lock screen shortcuts
- Customisable Quick Settings tiles
- SlimPie launcher
- Built-in SlimBean ROM OTA Updater
- Bloatware free system
Warning: SlimBean is a customised ROM that requires manual installation which may damage your tablet. We are not liable for any damages which occur on your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Read, understand and follow the instructions to avoid damaging your device. Do this at your own risk!
1. Your tablet must be a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100. Do not flash this to any other Galaxy Tab model or suffer unforeseen consequences.
2. The tablet must be unlocked from any network carrier or you won't be able to install the ROM.
3. Unlock its Bootloader, Root and Install a ClockworkMod recovery on the device. Click here for the instructions and files needed.
4. Install the necessary USB drivers for your tablet on your computer.
5. Create a backup of all personal information, settings and data files on your device.
6. Make sure that the battery level is at least 50 percent to avoid power interruption.
7. Enable USB debugging mode on your device. Go to "Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging mode" or "Settings > Developer Options > USB debugging mode."
8. Download the SlimBean Android 4.3 ROM and the Slim Google Apps package.
1. Connect the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 to your computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy the SlimBean ROM and the Google Apps package you have downloaded earlier to the SD card of the Galaxy Note. Do not extract any of them.
3. Disconnect the phablet from the computer and then turn it off.
4. Reboot your tablet into the recovery mode. Press and hold the Volume Up and Home keys at the same time till the Samsung logo appears.
5. Inside the Recovery mode, create a Nandroid backup of the current ROM. Select "backup and restores > backup." The ROM is saved inside the internal storage which you can restore anytime.
6. Perform a full wipe on your device. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition." Then select "advanced > wipe Dalvik cache."
7. Go back to the main menu then install the SlimBean Android 4.3 ROM. Select "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD > Slim Bean Android 4.3 ROM > confirm installation." Apply the same with the Google Apps.
8. Once the installation has been completed, go back and then select "reboot system now."
9. Your Samsung Galaxy Tab will reboot and may take up to five minutes before reaching the home screen.
Congratulations! Now your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, thanks to SlimBean custom ROM. Go to "Settings > About tablet > Android version" to check the current build.
An OTA updater is present on your tablet which may receive new updates automatically from SlimBean servers.
In case you have any issues or problems, send your feedback to the Bugs Section on the Slim Bean Web site.
To contact the editor, e-mail: