After their lofty Super Bowl contender status last season, it looks like the Atlanta Falcons are on a freefall. A Monday night football date with the inconsistent New York Jets might just be the break they need to get back into the thick of things in regular season.
New Orleans Saints linebacker Parys Haralson (98) sacks Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan (2) during the second half of their NFL football game in New Orleans, Louisiana
The Falcons lone win came in Week 2 against the St. Louis Rams (31-24), but they lost in three close contests-- on the road against the New Orleans Saints (17-23) and Miami Dolphins (23-27) and at home versus the New England Patriots (23-30).
The Falcons started the 2012 season at 8-0 but are 1-3 to start the 2013 season.
Although the Falcons are 4th overall in the league in average passing yards (316.5) and 5th in rush defense, giving up only 92.3 yards per outing, they are also struggling in running the ball (82.0 rushing yards/game - 23rd) and in covering the pass by allowing 301 yards per game (26th overall).
The Falcons are led by wide receiver Julio Jones, who averages 120.3 rushing yards per game, number one in the NFL.
Meanwhile, the Jets have alternated wins and losses through the first four games-- home wins in Week 1 and Week 3 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (18-17) and Buffalo Bills (27-20) and two road losses vs. the New England Patriots (10-13) and Tennessee Titans (13-38).
New York's defense is actually very solid on both the air and the ground. Opponents average only 203.8 passing and 79.3 rushing yards for 8th and 4th best in the league, respectively.
Betting Against the Spread (ATS)
New York Jets Trends
- Jets are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games in October
- Jets are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games after a loss
- Jets are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games vs. teams with losing records
- Jets are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games on the road vs. teams with losing home records
Atlanta Falcons Trends
- Falcons are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games in Week 5
- Falcons are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games in October
- Falcons are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games on MNF
- Falcons are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games at home.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top Ten Richest Americans [PHOTOS]
- Is Orlando Bloom’s Wife, Miranda Kerr Singing Love Songs for James Packer? [WATCH VIDEOS]
- 'Jelena' Romance: Selena Gomez Shares her Most Shocking Date with Justin Bieber Involving $3M- Diamond [PHOTOS/VIDEO]
- Watch Out, Robert Pattinson! Kellan Lutz Reveals He Turned Down The Role Of ‘Twilight’ Lead Edward Cullen [PHOTOS/ VIDEOS]