After back-to-back losses put serious doubts on them being a Super Bowl contender this season, the San Francisco 49ers bounced back big in Week 4 to return to the win column and more importantly get back the confidence they missed the previous games.
San Francisco 49ers Colin Kaepernick and Vernon Davis celebrate Davis' touchdown as St. Louis Rams Rodney McLeod looks on during their NFL game in St. Louis
On Sunday primetime, the 49ers hope to play with the same fire against the visiting Houston Texans, which hopes to avoid their third straight defeat.
San Francisco's 34-28 opening week win over the Green Bay Packers provided no signs of trouble for the losing Super Bowl finalists last year. But the crack started to show in the next two losing to the Seattle Seahawks (3-29) and Indianapolis Colts (7-27) via embarrassing blowouts.
They 49ers did respond in style on the road last week against the St. Louis Rams winning 35-11 to snap their losing streak.
Meanwhile, the Texans are hoping to react as well after back-to-back losses. They lost to the Baltimore Ravens (30-9) and Seattle Seahawks (23-20 OT) the last two weeks after winning their first two against the San Diego Chargers (31-28) and Tennnesse Titans (30-24 OT).
Both of these squads are efficient in controlling the aerial game of their opponents. Houston is number one in pass yards allowed at 141.0 yards per game while San Francisco holds opponents to just 190.4 yards per outing.
They are also among the best in running the football. Texans are 7th in the league in rushing yards per game at 134.3 yards per game while the 49ers are 8th at 131.0.
Running backs Arian Foster and Ben Tate combines for 520 rushing yards for the Texans while the duo of RB Frank Gore and quarterback Colin Kaepernick has a combined total of 435 rushing yards for the 49ers this season.
Betting Against the Spread (ATS)
Houston Texans Trends
- Texans are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games
- Texans are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games on the road
- Texans are 0-8 ATS in their last 8 games in Week 5
San Francisco 49ers Trends
- 49ers are 4-2 ATS in their last 6 games
- 49ers are 7-2 ATS in their last 9 games in October
- 49ers are 1-0-1 ATS in their last 2 games vs. Houston
Game Odds: Houston Texans (+5) vs. San Francisco 49ers (O/U 43.0)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- KamaSutra Miss Maxim 2014 Grand Finale: Swapnila Gupta Wins Title; Models Walk the Ramp [PHOTOS]
- A Tribute To Great Actor Paul Walker: Best Quotes From 'Fast And Furious' Films [PHOTOS/ VIDEOS]
- Is Orlando Bloom’s Wife, Miranda Kerr Singing Love Songs for James Packer? [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Watch Out, Robert Pattinson! Kellan Lutz Reveals He Turned Down The Role Of ‘Twilight’ Lead Edward Cullen [PHOTOS/ VIDEOS]