Hajj 2013: Saudi Arabia Installs 1,700 CCTV Cameras to Monitor Mecca Pilgrims
By Hannah Osborne | October 7, 2013 12:31 AM EST
Authorities in Saudi Arabia have installed 1,700 CCTV cameras in Mecca to monitor the millions of pilgrims visiting the holy city this month.
More than one million pilgrims will visit Mecca from 13 October for the Hajj, with hundreds of thousands already in Saudi Arabia.
The five-day pilgrimage is the largest gathering of Muslims in the world. Able-bodied Muslims who can afford to do so must carry out Hajj at least once in their lifetimes.
Pilgrims walk from Mecca to Mina to the Plain of Arafat, where they stand near the Mount of Mercy to ask Allah for forgiveness.
This year, visitor numbers have been reduced because of the ongoing construction of the Haram Mosque. The Saudi Arabian government announced a 20% reduction in pilgrim numbers from each country earlier this year.
Miksib Al-Omairi, assistant head of operations at Mecca's civil defence brigade, told the Saudi Gazette that the kingdom has upped its security ahead of this year's Hajj.
Mohammed Bin Abdullah Al-Qarni, director general of Civil Defence, told the Al-Madinah newspaper that improved security will allow them to evacuate pilgrims more efficiently in an emergency.
He also said the security would allow them to monitor transport and accommodation being provided.
"Thanks to the project, we can make emergency plans to deal with any accident that may take place at pilgrims' accommodation," he said.
"We will also be able to monitor any violations that may be committed by the Tawafa establishments."
The 1,700 cameras have been installed all around Mecca. There is also an information system that allows security officials to pinpoint the exact location of a call, while a wireless system means better communication with government bodies.
Abdullah Al-Qarsh, head of safety, said that safety patrols have been increased to monitor all public areas.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Targets Pope Francis; Italy Deemed As Strategic Point Of Attack
- Brazilian Women-Only-Town Says No To Marriage, Baptism And Rules Made Up By Men
- Egyptian Feminist Receives Death Threats, The Truth Behind Her Bold Statement To ISIS
- Egyptian Feminist Sends a Bold Message to ISIS as she Poses Nude & Bleeds On Islamic State Flag
- 3 Important Revenue Sources Of Vatican
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans