Shah Rukh Khan Under Fire for 'Recycling' JK Rowling’s Speech
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 6, 2013 7:20 PM EST
Shah Rukh Khan's inspirational speech at the All India Management Association (AIMA) event in September has drawn much displeasure after it was alleged that his words replicated world famous author JK Rowling's own speech at Harvard University.
The shocking similarity of both speeches came to light when social media consultant Agratha Dinakaran drew a comparison on her blog.
In her speech 'The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination' in 2008, JK Rowling, known for her monumental Harry Potter series, had talked about her struggling days before making it big with the boy wizard tales.
Talking of poverty and her initial failures, Rowling said,"...it(Poverty) is not an ennobling experience. Poverty entails fear, and stress, and sometimes depression; it means a thousand petty humiliations and hardships."
Shah Rukh's speech reflects not just the idea but even replicates the author's words as he said, "Let me tell you...poverty is not an ennobling experience at all. Poverty entails fear and stress and sometimes depression...1 had seen my parents go through it many times. It means a thousand petty humiliations and hardships."
Rowling's speech concluded with a sense of moral defining happiness, which incidentally found way to Shah Rukh's words with a slight moderation.
"Happiness lies in knowing that life is not a check-list of acquisition or achievement. Your qualifications, your CV, are not your life, though you will meet many people of my age and older who confuse the two. Life is difficult, and complicated, and beyond anyone's total control, and the humility to know that will enable you to survive its vicissitudes," the 48-year-old British novelist said.
In comparison, Shah Rukh's ended his speech with, "I'd like to tell you all that life is not just a checklist of acquisitions, attainments and fulfilments. Your qualifications and CVs don't matter, your jobs don't matter. Instead, life is difficult and complicated and beyond your control, and to know that with humility, respecting your failures will help you survive its vicissitudes."
Blogger Agratha Dinakaran, who is clearly displeased with Shah Rukh, further wrote that given his star status and personality it would have been fair to give credit to the original source rather than risk being accused of stealing speeches.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS