Japan’s Fukushima Nuclear Plant Leaks Again, Spills 114 Gallons Contaminated Water into Ocean
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | October 4, 2013 2:03 PM EST
Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant is at it again, this time leaking 114 gallons of highly radioactive contaminated water into the Pacific Ocean.
The leak, according to Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) on Thursday, came from a storage tank overfilled with contaminated rainwater.
The company said the leak happened where the side connects with the top part of the tank with the bolts. It occurred due to workers' miscalculations as to how much amount of water the tank could be containing, the company said, noting that the tank was sitting on a slope.
A TEPCO spokesman told a press conference in Tokyo on Thursday that the leak happened because workers miscalculated the amount of water the tank was capable of holding due to it sitting on a slope.
"We believe [contaminated water] flowed into the ocean," Masayuki Ono, acting general manager of Tepco's Nuclear Power and Plant Siting Division, said.
Video Source: Youtube/NTDTV
TEPCO said the spilled water had radiation readings 6,700 times higher or as high as 200,000 becquerels per liter. The legal limit is 30 becquerels per liter.
Just on Tuesday this week, TEPCO had revealed that an operation to transfer water between holding tanks had leaked four tonnes of contaminated rainwater. The company assured however that these held low levels of radiation.
A magnitude 9 earthquake hit Japan in March 2011. The resulting and tsunami severely crippled the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant facility. Three of its units suffered nuclear meltdowns and hydrogen explosions.
TEPCO had chosen to remain mum on the possible radiation leakage since being hit by the tsunami. But in August, TEPCO and Japan admitted Fukushima had leaked about 300 tonnes of radioactive water from another holding tank into Pacific Ocean.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- Family Of Ebola Nurse Patient Hires Lawyer To Clear Things Up, Refutes CDC Claims; Agency Revises Guidelines
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar