Japan’s Fukushima Nuclear Plant Leaks Again, Spills 114 Gallons Contaminated Water into Ocean
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | October 4, 2013 2:03 PM EST
Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant is at it again, this time leaking 114 gallons of highly radioactive contaminated water into the Pacific Ocean.
The leak, according to Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) on Thursday, came from a storage tank overfilled with contaminated rainwater.
The company said the leak happened where the side connects with the top part of the tank with the bolts. It occurred due to workers' miscalculations as to how much amount of water the tank could be containing, the company said, noting that the tank was sitting on a slope.
A TEPCO spokesman told a press conference in Tokyo on Thursday that the leak happened because workers miscalculated the amount of water the tank was capable of holding due to it sitting on a slope.
"We believe [contaminated water] flowed into the ocean," Masayuki Ono, acting general manager of Tepco's Nuclear Power and Plant Siting Division, said.
Video Source: Youtube/NTDTV
TEPCO said the spilled water had radiation readings 6,700 times higher or as high as 200,000 becquerels per liter. The legal limit is 30 becquerels per liter.
Just on Tuesday this week, TEPCO had revealed that an operation to transfer water between holding tanks had leaked four tonnes of contaminated rainwater. The company assured however that these held low levels of radiation.
A magnitude 9 earthquake hit Japan in March 2011. The resulting and tsunami severely crippled the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant facility. Three of its units suffered nuclear meltdowns and hydrogen explosions.
TEPCO had chosen to remain mum on the possible radiation leakage since being hit by the tsunami. But in August, TEPCO and Japan admitted Fukushima had leaked about 300 tonnes of radioactive water from another holding tank into Pacific Ocean.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money