Known as the oldest surviving major international beauty pageant, Miss World was held for the first time in 1951 and since then many exciting things had happened that shaped the international beauty contest into what it is today.
The latest Miss World competition was held for the first in Southeast Asia, and was concluded in Bali, Indonesia. Here are the 10 interesting facts about Miss World 2013.
1. Miss Philippines Megan Young is the first Filipina to win the elusive Miss World Crown, after her victory she vowed to be the best Miss World ever. Thanks to Cory Quirino, the woman behind Miss World Philippines, she managed to win the highest place in the pageant after three years of being the head and one of the most successful franchise holders in pageantry.
2. England, Indonesia, Spain and Philippines are the 4 countries that are placed in Miss World pageants for 3 consecutve years (2011-2013).
In 2011; Miss World Indonesia Astrid Ellena and Miss World Spain Carla Garcia are one of the semifinalist, Miss World England was Top 7 and Miss World Philippines Gwendoline Ruais was the first runner-up.
In 2012; Miss World Spain Aránzazu Estévez, Miss World England Charlotte Holmes, Miss World Indonesia Ines Putri Tjiptadi Chandra and Miss World Philippines Queenierich Rehman were in top 15.
In 2013; Miss World Indonesia Vania Larissa and Miss World England Kirsty Heslewood were in top 10, Miss World Spain Elena Ibarbia was in top 6 and finally Miss World Philippines Megan Young won the crown.
3. Ghana consistenly shows that their candidates can compete with the world beauties when 2013 Miss World Ghana Carranzar Naa Okailey Shooter got the second runner-up and was on the Top 6 of Miss World pageant.
4. Miss Word France Marine Lorphelin gave France their best placement since 1998 when she won first runner-up in the pageant. This year marks the 60th anniversary of the first French woman to have won the Miss World Title, 1953 Miss World Denise Perrier.
5. Brazilian beauty Miss World Brazil Scancler Frantz falls short in the competition and did not make it to the Top 3 of the pageant. An ironic twist of fate when Frantz and Hollywood superstar Halle Berry met in Rio de Janeiro on April 11, and just like "X-Men" star both of them finished as finalists (Berry was former Miss World 1986 finalist).
6. The use of Balinese Sandalwood Fan in Miss World 2013 has raised a lot of quentions. Instead of flowers beauty queen is given sandalwood fan or kipas cendana which is believed to be distinctively Balinese as it gives sandalwood scent when one uses it. The main symbolism of the fan is the unity of different cultures all united in Indonesia in one purpose, which reflects Miss World's Unity in Diversity.
7. The second best performance of Gibraltar at Miss World History, Miss World Gibraltar Maroua Kharbouch was hailed as the People's Choice winner, and thanks to her fans she went straight into the Top 6 even when she was excluded from the Top 20.
8. Slovakia was placed for first time in the Top 20 of Miss World, thanks to 2013 Miss World Slovakia Karolina Chomistekova.
9. Nepal and Indonesia was placed for the first time in the Top 10 of Miss World pageant.
10.The 2013 Miss World pageant has a record number of 127 delegates.
To contact the editor, e-mail: