Lars Ulrich Talks About Metallica’s Undaunted Stand in the Industry and More
By Tarun Mazumdar | October 3, 2013 5:36 PM EST
Pioneer of thrash metal and one of the Big Fours (Anthrax, Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth), Metallica have been pummelling the crowd and listeners since 1981. They have taken home nine Grammys along 180 million album sales.
In a recent interview with Metro, Lars Ulrich (drummer) talks about the band's success, Napster issues and more.
Lars was asked about how he defines Metallica's success. He replied, "Metallica exist in our own bubble. We're not part of a genre, we're not part of a wave, we're not part of a moment. We're completely financially independent. We own all our own records. We own all our own masters. We financed this film by ourselves. We don't have to suck up to anybody or deal with the man. We just live in our own little world. We're our own entity, completely autonomous. And that's a very unusual situation to be in."
In 2000, Metallica took the file-sharing site Napster to court, and the band was criticized for this action by fans. After almost 13 years has their attitude changed towards online music, this is what Lars said: "The misconception about all that stuff was that somehow Metallica were just Luddites or anti-internet. I guarantee I'm on the internet more than you. That whole thing, 15 years ago, was about control. It was not about anything else. Who controls what happens? And we were pretty convinced that we had the right to control whatever happened to Metallica. Some called us ignorant for thinking that, others called us pioneering, and somewhere in-between lies the truth."
Lars also revealed they are set to hit the studio for a new record as they have been working on stuff in tiny bits and pieces.
When asked about retirement plans, Lars replied, "I saw the Stones last Sunday and Charlie Watts is 72, and it inspired me to keep going. The hardest thing is the physicality of it. The two hardest working people in the Metallica organisation are the two who massage us every night after each show. That is a gig you would not wish on anybody. We'll see how long they can keep stitching us together but so far, so good."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Oct. 20-24, 2014, Plus Additional Spoilers For Oct. 27, 2014: Nina Makes Public Rosalie’s Secret
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks