Watch Online 2013 China Open: Men’s Singles Round of 16 Preview – Novak Djokovic vs. Fernando Verdasco Live Streaming
By James Patrick Quizon | October 3, 2013 1:20 PM EST
With Spaniard Rafael Nadal breathing down his neck and aiming to steal that ATP number one ranking, Novak Djokovic is pressed to perform well, or at least better than Nadal, in the 2013 China Open.
The 26-year-old Serbian meets another player from Spain in Fernando Verdasco in the Round of 16 stage of the tournament held in Beijing, China.
Nadal is through to the quarterfinals already after beating Philipp Kohlschreiber, 6-4, 7-6 Tuesday evening. Before the Beijing tourney, Djokovic has 11,120 points to Nadal’s 10,860-- a 260-point difference between the two best players in tennis today.
The China Open champion will be awarded 500 points, while the losing finalist will be awarded 300.
Djokovic is no stranger to winning in this part of the world. He is the current defending champion after 2012’s conquest of Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, 7-6 (4), 6-2 and also China Open titlists in 2010 and 2009.
However, Verdasco has had his share of success against Djokovic. In nine meetings, he was able to pull off the upset four times already. More impressively, Verdasco has won the last two meetings against Djokovic.
In 2010, Verdasco defeated Djokovic in the quarterfinal round of the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 in Italy, Rome in three sets, 7-6(4).3-6,6-4. Also in 2010, Verdasco came out a winner in the semifinals of ATP World Tour Masters 1000 in Monte Carlo, Monaco via straight sets, 6-2, 6-2.
Djokovic beat Czech Republic's Lukas Rosol, 6-0, 6-3 in the opening round while Verdasco defeated Indian qualifier Somdev Dewarman, 7-6, 6-3 in his own opener.
S. Querrey vs. S. Wawrinka
N. Djokovic vs. F. Verdasco
B. Tomic vs. R. Gasquet
D. Ferrer vs. M. Matosevic
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish Can't Play in the U.S. Open Due to Drug Testing Issues
- Billy Bob Thornton Want to Play Hodor in Game Of Thrones
- Fukushima Radiation Tests on Waters Along U.S. Coast Yield Negative Results
- Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
- Celebrities Who Stripped Naked for Women's Health