Lorde’s ‘Royals’ Dethrones Miley Cyrus’ ‘Wrecking Ball” Atop Billboard Hot 100
By Anne Lu | October 3, 2013 11:52 AM EST
Lorde is truly a royalty now in the U.S. The schoolgirl from New Zealand keeps on collecting accolades. Her breakthrough hit “Royals” has dethroned Miley Cyrus’ “Wrecking Ball” in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart just after two weeks.
“Royals” has been sitting at No 3 behind “Wrecking Ball” and Katy Perry’s “Roar” for three weeks, but now, it has overtaken both songs, claiming the coveted top spot. It has also managed to maintain its place at the summit of Digital Songs for the second week with 294,000 downloads sold.
The almost 17-year-old Auckland native has become the youngest solo artist to top Billboard’s Hot 100 since the 16-year-old Tiffany in the week of November 1987 with her hit “I Think We’re Alone Now.”
She’s still not the youngest to do so, though. Stevie Wonder was just 13 years old when his “Fingertips – Pt2” topped the chart in the week of Aug 10, 1963, while Little Peggy March was a little older than him at 15 years old when her “I Will Follow Him” hit the top in April 1963.
As TVNZ noted, the young singer, real name Ella Yelich-O’Connor, is the first New Zealander to reach the top of the Billboard Hot 100 Chart as a solo artist. Kimbra reached the top with Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used TO Know,” while Crowded House hit second place with their “Don’t Dream It’s Over” in 1987.
OMC reached No 1 with “How Bizarre” of the Top 40 list in 1997, but the song did not qualify for the Hot 100 chart because it was never released as a retail single.
Lorde’s success hasn’t escaped the notice of fans and celebrities alike, even New Zealand’s very own prime minister. John Key sent her his congratulatory message on Twitter.
Congratulations to @lordemusic on reaching no. 1 on the US Billboard charts - what a fantastic achievement for a young Kiwi talent.
— John Key (@johnkeypm) October 2, 2013
She has to be careful, though. Last time she dethroned Miley on a chart, the former Disney star’s fans attacked her on Twitter.
“Royals” bumped “Wrecking Ball” from the top spot on the U.S. iTunes chart in September, and Miley’s fans weren’t so happy about the other singer’s success.
Also in September, Lorde has broken another record. Her song has held the record for the longest stay at the top of Billboard’s Alternative Chart by a female soloist. She has held the record for six weeks against Alanis Morissette’s five weeks in 1995 for her track “You Oughta Know.”
Read: Lorde’s ‘Royals’ Breaks Alanis Morissette’s Billboard Record
Lorde Catching Fire On ‘The Hunger Games’ Soundtrack, Takes 6th In ’21 Under 21’ Billboard List [READ]
Lorde Explains Taylor Swift Diss [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown