Lorde’s ‘Royals’ Dethrones Miley Cyrus’ ‘Wrecking Ball” Atop Billboard Hot 100
By Anne Lu | October 3, 2013 11:52 AM EST
Lorde is truly a royalty now in the U.S. The schoolgirl from New Zealand keeps on collecting accolades. Her breakthrough hit “Royals” has dethroned Miley Cyrus’ “Wrecking Ball” in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart just after two weeks.
“Royals” has been sitting at No 3 behind “Wrecking Ball” and Katy Perry’s “Roar” for three weeks, but now, it has overtaken both songs, claiming the coveted top spot. It has also managed to maintain its place at the summit of Digital Songs for the second week with 294,000 downloads sold.
The almost 17-year-old Auckland native has become the youngest solo artist to top Billboard’s Hot 100 since the 16-year-old Tiffany in the week of November 1987 with her hit “I Think We’re Alone Now.”
She’s still not the youngest to do so, though. Stevie Wonder was just 13 years old when his “Fingertips – Pt2” topped the chart in the week of Aug 10, 1963, while Little Peggy March was a little older than him at 15 years old when her “I Will Follow Him” hit the top in April 1963.
As TVNZ noted, the young singer, real name Ella Yelich-O’Connor, is the first New Zealander to reach the top of the Billboard Hot 100 Chart as a solo artist. Kimbra reached the top with Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used TO Know,” while Crowded House hit second place with their “Don’t Dream It’s Over” in 1987.
OMC reached No 1 with “How Bizarre” of the Top 40 list in 1997, but the song did not qualify for the Hot 100 chart because it was never released as a retail single.
Lorde’s success hasn’t escaped the notice of fans and celebrities alike, even New Zealand’s very own prime minister. John Key sent her his congratulatory message on Twitter.
Congratulations to @lordemusic on reaching no. 1 on the US Billboard charts - what a fantastic achievement for a young Kiwi talent.
— John Key (@johnkeypm) October 2, 2013
She has to be careful, though. Last time she dethroned Miley on a chart, the former Disney star’s fans attacked her on Twitter.
“Royals” bumped “Wrecking Ball” from the top spot on the U.S. iTunes chart in September, and Miley’s fans weren’t so happy about the other singer’s success.
Also in September, Lorde has broken another record. Her song has held the record for the longest stay at the top of Billboard’s Alternative Chart by a female soloist. She has held the record for six weeks against Alanis Morissette’s five weeks in 1995 for her track “You Oughta Know.”
Read: Lorde’s ‘Royals’ Breaks Alanis Morissette’s Billboard Record
Lorde Catching Fire On ‘The Hunger Games’ Soundtrack, Takes 6th In ’21 Under 21’ Billboard List [READ]
Lorde Explains Taylor Swift Diss [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS