Lorde’s ‘Royals’ Dethrones Miley Cyrus’ ‘Wrecking Ball” Atop Billboard Hot 100
By Anne Lu | October 3, 2013 11:52 AM EST
Lorde is truly a royalty now in the U.S. The schoolgirl from New Zealand keeps on collecting accolades. Her breakthrough hit “Royals” has dethroned Miley Cyrus’ “Wrecking Ball” in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart just after two weeks.
“Royals” has been sitting at No 3 behind “Wrecking Ball” and Katy Perry’s “Roar” for three weeks, but now, it has overtaken both songs, claiming the coveted top spot. It has also managed to maintain its place at the summit of Digital Songs for the second week with 294,000 downloads sold.
The almost 17-year-old Auckland native has become the youngest solo artist to top Billboard’s Hot 100 since the 16-year-old Tiffany in the week of November 1987 with her hit “I Think We’re Alone Now.”
She’s still not the youngest to do so, though. Stevie Wonder was just 13 years old when his “Fingertips – Pt2” topped the chart in the week of Aug 10, 1963, while Little Peggy March was a little older than him at 15 years old when her “I Will Follow Him” hit the top in April 1963.
As TVNZ noted, the young singer, real name Ella Yelich-O’Connor, is the first New Zealander to reach the top of the Billboard Hot 100 Chart as a solo artist. Kimbra reached the top with Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used TO Know,” while Crowded House hit second place with their “Don’t Dream It’s Over” in 1987.
OMC reached No 1 with “How Bizarre” of the Top 40 list in 1997, but the song did not qualify for the Hot 100 chart because it was never released as a retail single.
Lorde’s success hasn’t escaped the notice of fans and celebrities alike, even New Zealand’s very own prime minister. John Key sent her his congratulatory message on Twitter.
Congratulations to @lordemusic on reaching no. 1 on the US Billboard charts - what a fantastic achievement for a young Kiwi talent.
— John Key (@johnkeypm) October 2, 2013
She has to be careful, though. Last time she dethroned Miley on a chart, the former Disney star’s fans attacked her on Twitter.
“Royals” bumped “Wrecking Ball” from the top spot on the U.S. iTunes chart in September, and Miley’s fans weren’t so happy about the other singer’s success.
Also in September, Lorde has broken another record. Her song has held the record for the longest stay at the top of Billboard’s Alternative Chart by a female soloist. She has held the record for six weeks against Alanis Morissette’s five weeks in 1995 for her track “You Oughta Know.”
Read: Lorde’s ‘Royals’ Breaks Alanis Morissette’s Billboard Record
Lorde Catching Fire On ‘The Hunger Games’ Soundtrack, Takes 6th In ’21 Under 21’ Billboard List [READ]
Lorde Explains Taylor Swift Diss [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display