Known as a talented satirist, composer, writer, actor and pianist, Australian comedian Tim Minchin was phenomenal when he gave his graduation speech at his alma mater, the University of Western Australia. Now trending in the World Wide Web, Tim Minchin's graduation speech talks about how to have a meaningful life in a way that other people may find strange.
His speech may not be the usual "follow your dream" kind of speech, but his how "to be" is funny, sometimes horrifying, but its very inspirational, beautiful and real. He talks about being kind to people by respecting others with lesser power and that its okay if you don't have a dream.
To put it very simply, here are the nine tidbits of Minchin's wisdom on his trending graduation speech:
1. You don't have to have a dream.
2. Don't seek happiness.
3. Remember, it's all luck.
5. Be hard on your opinions.
6. Be a teacher.
7. Define yourself by what you love.
8. Respect people with less power than you.
9. Don't rush.
Graduated in 1996, Minchin studied Bachelor of Arts in English and Theater and completed an Advanced Diploma in Contemporary Music at the Western Asutralian Academy of Performing Arts in 1998. After his funny but heartfelt graduation speech, the University of Western Australia awarded him an Honorary Doctors of Letters.
The British-born actor was raised in Perth and started learning piano as the age of 8 but decided to give it up after 3 years because he did not enjoy it. He introduced himself again to the instrument when he started writing music with his guitarist brother, Dan Minchin.
Still humble with his piano skills, Michin often describes himself as "hack pianist... a 'more you practise, the better you get' kind of guy." The 37-year-old actor describes his act as a "funny cabaret show" and doesn't see himself as a comedian but more of a musician and a songwriter who "just happen to be funny" or so his song goes.
"I'm a good musician for a comedian and I'm a good comedian for a musician but if I had to do any of them in isolation I dunno," he explained regarding his combination of the desciplines of music and comedy.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Models' Ramp Walk Aired on Tuesday [PHOTOS]
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Bold, Sexy and Sensuous Lingerie Fashion [PHOTOS]
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Best Pictures From The Sexiest Show Ever [ SEE PHOTOS/VIDEOS]
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013: Drooling Guys, Conscious Girls, Naughty Jokes on Twitter [SEE PHOTOS]