October 3, 2013 2:15 AM EST
Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Episode 2 Review: Nick Fury Receives Warm Welcome; Code 0-8-4 Bonds the New Team [PHOTOS]
Marvel's "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." on ABC has so far drawn over 20 million viewers to its premiere episode - 12 million of which tuned in for the premiere telecast. Season 1, Episode 2 "0-8-4" continues to chronicle the adventures of Agent Phil Coulson's (Clark Gregg) newly assembled team. In a special cameo, Nick Fury admonishes Coulson in a much-celebrated scene.
Spoiler Alert: This review recaps the highlights of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1, Episode 2, titled, "0-8-4."
After the attack in New York, "survivor" Coulson assembles a team of young people to breathe a new life into the SHIELD (Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division). In the premiere, the team deals with Extremis and Coulson recruits Skye (Chloe Bennet) of the Rising Tide. This week, the agents fly to Peru for an object of unknown origin - like Skye, Coulson says.
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1, Episode 2: '0-8-4' and Nick Fury
Here are the highlights of 'SHIELD' Episode No. 2:
- The team's new mission kicks off in an Incan temple in Peru. They do not like each other, but there's no better glue than a common enemy - and a Tesseract item on board.
- The team encounters a Peruvian military group. The leader, Comandante Camilla Reyes (Leonor Varela), establishes she and Phil had enjoyed some dalliance in the past. "That's classified," Coulson tells Skye.
- Camilla betrays Phil to get the Tesseract item, but the team beats the Peruvians. They later launched the unknown device into the sun. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1, Episode 2 brings back the memory of The Avengers bickering until Loki "killed" Phil Coulson.
- Skye leaves her van for the SHIELD's plane -- The Bus -- and saves the team with a hole in the bus idea. She's fitting in quite fast, with Agent Grant Ward (Brett Dalton) agreeing to be her commanding officer.
- Agent Ward reveals Melinda May (Ming-Na Wen) as "The Cavalry" to the team. May doesn't like the label much.
- Agent Jemma Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge) and Agent Leo Fitz (Iain De Caestecker) are not cleared for combat, but their combined brainpower proves essential for the team's missions.
- Skye gets a message from the Rising Tide. She tells the group, "I'm in."
- Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury shows up toward the end to give Coulson a tongue-lashing over what happened to The Bus. And he tells Coulson Skye is a risk.
Cobie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill in the premiere, and Nick Fury in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1, Episode 2. The show is likely to indulge The Avengers fans with more cameos. But Joss Whedon has earlier said he would not pull many strings for the TV series. He's saving the favours for The Avengers 2, Whedon said.
The second episode continues to disappoint The Avengers fans waiting for superhero action. Still, the show is merely staying true to its title. Many of those who see the point find Agent Coulson and team quite a delight to watch. The show is not short in impressive stunts, but it could use more - from both May and Ward. A big bad supervillain has yet to emerge, but perhaps the showrunners are taking their time to establish the core characters first.
Check out the slideshow to see Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 photos from the show's Facebook page. The series airs on ABC on Tuesdays. In Australia, Seven is fast tracking the TV sequel to The Avengers movie.
More 'Agents of SHIELD' and TV Guide Features:
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Pilot Episode Review, Spoilers: The Avengers' Best, The Highlights, and The Villains [PHOTOS]
Castle Season 6 Episode 2 'Dreamworld' Review, Stana Katic Celebrates Kate Beckett Milestones with Cas-kett Fans [PHOTOS]
Breaking Bad Funny Memes Trending: 'Don't Cry Because It's Over, Smile Because It Didn't End Like Dexter' [MORE]