RBS New CEO Ross McEwan: I Have Fear But Delight Over Top Job [VIDEO]
By Lianna Brinded | October 1, 2013 11:01 PM EST
In a speech to mark the first day of his take-over from Stephen Hester, who was ousted by RBS's chairman and the government in June this year, McEwan detailed the need to refocus the bank on its customers and the importance of repaying the UK taxpayers for their support.
"When the Chairman [Philip Hampton] told me about the job, he said he didn't know whether to say congratulations or condolences," said McEwan.
"I've taken on this job with a high level of trepidation, slight levels of fear but absolute delight in becoming RBS CEO. Our job is to serve and protect our customers."
McEwan's annual salary will be £1m. He will receive a cash allowance in lieu of pension equating to 35% of salary, but has abstained from consideration for an annual bonus in 2014.
Following in the footsteps of Barclays, RBS decided to appoint a retail banking veteran to lead the bank into privatisation.
He has also worked for more than a decade in retail banking.
CBA is Australia's largest retail lender with over 16,500 staff serving 10 million customers. This equates to nearly 40% of the Australian population.
McEwan was credited with lifting retail banking profits by 50% to $2.8bn over five years.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- U.S. Flights to Israel Now Lifted, Flights To and From Tel Aviv Resume – FAA
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown