RBS New CEO Ross McEwan: I Have Fear But Delight Over Top Job [VIDEO]
By Lianna Brinded | October 1, 2013 11:01 PM EST
In a speech to mark the first day of his take-over from Stephen Hester, who was ousted by RBS's chairman and the government in June this year, McEwan detailed the need to refocus the bank on its customers and the importance of repaying the UK taxpayers for their support.
"When the Chairman [Philip Hampton] told me about the job, he said he didn't know whether to say congratulations or condolences," said McEwan.
"I've taken on this job with a high level of trepidation, slight levels of fear but absolute delight in becoming RBS CEO. Our job is to serve and protect our customers."
McEwan's annual salary will be £1m. He will receive a cash allowance in lieu of pension equating to 35% of salary, but has abstained from consideration for an annual bonus in 2014.
Following in the footsteps of Barclays, RBS decided to appoint a retail banking veteran to lead the bank into privatisation.
He has also worked for more than a decade in retail banking.
CBA is Australia's largest retail lender with over 16,500 staff serving 10 million customers. This equates to nearly 40% of the Australian population.
McEwan was credited with lifting retail banking profits by 50% to $2.8bn over five years.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS