Miss Australia 2013 Dreams Crash as Philippines Takes Miss World Crown
By Sachin Trivedi | September 30, 2013 3:41 PM EST
Miss Australia, Erin Holland, lost out in the Miss World competition to the newly crowned beauty queen from the Philippines. There were great expectations riding on her success, as she was one of the favourites.
Erin had to face stiff competition from 127 other contestants from across the globe. She was among the top 10 contestants to reach the semi-final round. The top five finalists were France, Philippines, Ghana, Brazil and Spain.
The Philippines took the Miss World crown beating the other top finalists. "I treasure a core value of humanity and that guides people why they act the way they do. I will use this to show other people how they can understand each other... as one, we can help society," Ms Philippines said when asked why she should be crowned.
Miss Australia took the talent contest by storm as she dazzled the audience with her incredible singing prowess. Erin sang "Someone Luke You" from Jeckyl and Hyde. She, however, lost the contest to Larissa of Indonesia, for her "flawless" rendition of "A Question of Honour."
Erin is from North Queensland. She was born and raised in Cairns. At the age of 17 she followed her dreams of music to Sydney, where she enrolled on a scholarship at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music.
Erin is a talented singer who also plays the clarinet and saxophone. She hopes that one day she can be a leading lady in a Broadway show. She entered as Miss Australia, a participant in the Miss World contest.
Erin is also an ambassador for the Muscular Dystrophy Foundation. In her spare time, she enjoys yoga and reading. She likes Asian cuisine and described herself as a vibrant, outgoing and hardworking individual.
The Miss World contest faced some controversy, as some Muslims held protests against the competition. Hundreds of Muslims gathered for a prayer near a mosque near the capital at the same time as the event was being held.
[Click here to read about Britney Spear pledging to do a good deed on Sept 11.]
The bikini or swim suit round was replaced with sarongs at the beach. Miss Australia, however, won top marks for her catwalk skills on the runway. The contest had won her a place among the top 10.
The journey of Miss Australia may continue despite this set back, as she endeavours to help charitable organisations by raising funds. She supports organisations like Lilla Community (Indigenous Outreach Program near Uluru, Australia's Red Centre) and Children's First Foundation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports