Now, Scientists Working to Make Smartphones as Earthquake Sensors!
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | September 30, 2013 1:38 PM EST
A new study published in the Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America has found that most smartphones, including laptops, maybe tweaked to become useful earthquake sensors as well.
The gadgets currently produced by manufacturers have the micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS), which according to researchers at Italy's National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology are sensitive enough to detect earthquakes of magnitude five or higher when located near the epicenter.
"Theoretically, any device connected to the Internet with an internal MEMS accelerometer, such as a computer or mobile phone, can become a strong-motion seismic station, and that could be easily used to enormously increase the number of observation points when an earthquake occurs," online portal Live Science quoted study co-author Antonino D'Alessandro as saying.
Researchers used a MEMS accelerometer found in iPhone 4 and iPhone 5, attached them to devices used in conventional seismic surveys, and then placed on a vibrating table. Afterwards, it was determined that both MEMS chips gave off the same readings as the conventional technology used by scientists to locate or forecast incoming earthquakes.
The devices would be able to gather date of upcoming moderate and large earthquakes or those with a magnitude of 5 or greater for as long as they were located near the epicentre.
"The number of victims following a strong earthquake depends mainly on the intensity of shaking, and the speed of rescue operations," Mr D'Alessandro said. "A real-time urban seismic network can drastically reduce casualties in urban areas immediately following a strong earthquake, by quickly distributing information about the distribution and intensity of ground shaking."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports