Australian Lenders Lose 1 Million Customers in Past 12 Months
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 30, 2013 9:52 AM EST
Of the 1 million, 855,000 people left their bank, 65,000 no longer deal with a credit union, 18,000 no longer does business with a building society and another 140,000 severed their relationship with other financial institutions.
The Roy Morgan Research Consumer Source Survey, released on Monday, identified ANZ Bank as the worst hit among the big 4 with 4 per cent of its customers leaving the lender.
ANZ Bank was followed by Westpac which lost 3 per cent of its customers, Commonwealth Bank, 2.7 per cent and National Australia Bank, 2.3 per cent.
Smaller banks also suffered from customer loss such as BankWest (5.6 per cent), ING Direct (5.2 per cent), St George (3.8 per cent) and Bendigo Bank (2.9 per cent).
"Our research shows the key reasons why people switched their main financial institutions include high fees and charges, poor service and poor interest rates," Roy Morgan Banking Industry Communications Director Norman Morris explained, quoted by Business Spectator.
The survey had more than 25,000 respondents and was held in a period of six months.
However, Mr Morris said that it is not only the banks that are affected by this development but also customers because they lost the opportunity to tap financial products of the lenders. In the case of those who left CBA, it involved 7.9 financial products, 8.7 products for ANZ ex-customers and 10.7 products for Bankwest clients.
Mr Morris urged the lenders to find out where have the customers shifted their business to for a better understanding of their move to cut business ties with a particular bank.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money