Australian Lenders Lose 1 Million Customers in Past 12 Months
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 30, 2013 9:52 AM EST
Of the 1 million, 855,000 people left their bank, 65,000 no longer deal with a credit union, 18,000 no longer does business with a building society and another 140,000 severed their relationship with other financial institutions.
The Roy Morgan Research Consumer Source Survey, released on Monday, identified ANZ Bank as the worst hit among the big 4 with 4 per cent of its customers leaving the lender.
ANZ Bank was followed by Westpac which lost 3 per cent of its customers, Commonwealth Bank, 2.7 per cent and National Australia Bank, 2.3 per cent.
Smaller banks also suffered from customer loss such as BankWest (5.6 per cent), ING Direct (5.2 per cent), St George (3.8 per cent) and Bendigo Bank (2.9 per cent).
"Our research shows the key reasons why people switched their main financial institutions include high fees and charges, poor service and poor interest rates," Roy Morgan Banking Industry Communications Director Norman Morris explained, quoted by Business Spectator.
The survey had more than 25,000 respondents and was held in a period of six months.
However, Mr Morris said that it is not only the banks that are affected by this development but also customers because they lost the opportunity to tap financial products of the lenders. In the case of those who left CBA, it involved 7.9 financial products, 8.7 products for ANZ ex-customers and 10.7 products for Bankwest clients.
Mr Morris urged the lenders to find out where have the customers shifted their business to for a better understanding of their move to cut business ties with a particular bank.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS