Prince George Christening Date Set; Commemorative Coins To Be Released
By Anne Lu | September 30, 2013 2:07 AM EST
Prince William and Kate Middleton have set a christening date for their son Prince George. And to mark the momentous event is a set of commemorative coins from the UK Royal Mint, the first time new coins are produced to mark a royal christening.
George, the third in line to the throne will be christened on October 23, three months after his birth on July 22. The Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby will perform the christening, which is set to be held at the Chapel Royal in St James’ Palace London.
Although the christening will be private, photographs will be taken after the service to be released to the public.
According to the Associated Press, the Prince of Cambridge will be wearing a replica of a christening gown made for Queen Victoria’s eldest daughter in 1841.
The UK Royal Mint is celebrating the event with the production of commemorative coins that have been approved by George’s parents, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. The coins weigh five pounds each, and will be made of solid gold, silver, platinum, and a more affordable option.
Prices of each one range from 13 pounds to over 8000 pounds. The designs have yet to be released.
Also yet to be released are the names of George’s godparents, which will be announced at a later date. However, as per rumours, his uncle and aunt, Prince Harry and Pippa Middleton, are among them.
The news of the future king’s christening came on the same day that the new Conjugal Coat of Arms of his parents has been announced.
The Conjugal Coat of Arms, which was approved by The Queen earlier in 2013, has been designed by the College of Arms in London, and shows the separate shields of a Royal husband and wife side by side.
— Clarence House (@ClarenceHouse) September 27, 2013
Prince William On Love Of Africa [READ]
Prince Andrew Held At Gunpoint At Buckingham Palace [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet