Update Nexus 4 to Custom Android
4.3 via SlimBean Stable ROM
LG Nexus 4 runs stock Android 4.3 out of the box. However, the Nexus smartphone users who want to enjoy a custom Jelly Bean experience in a lightweight package can download and install the new SlimBean stable ROM.
The SlimBean stable ROM is a creation of SlimROMs team which offers the best Android 4.3 custom features in a small package that runs on minimal device memory.
NOTE: Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The SlimBean stable ROM and instructions provided in this guide are meant for LG Nexus 4 model only. Do not attempt installing the firmware on any other model, as you might end up bricking the device.
- Ensure the device is factory unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery or TWRP installed on it.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone via one of the custom recovery tools such as CWM or TWRP to prevent data loss during firmware installation.
- Ensure the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Enable USB Debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if phone is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier). If the device is running Android 4.2, then perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap Build number seven times to unlock or reveal hidden Developer Options. Now, select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
How to Install Android 4.3 Based SlimBean Stable ROM on Nexus 4
- Download Android 4.3 SlimBean Stable ROM and Google Apps package for LG Nexus 4 on computer.
- Connect the phone to computer with original USB cable and copy the downloaded SlimBean Stable ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
- Power off the phone, boot it into Bootloader Mode, and then enter Recovery mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Up and Volume Down buttons together and then simultaneously tap the Power button until the Bootloader / Fastboot mode menu appears on the screen. Tap Volume Down or Up until the Start text on screen changes to Recovery Mode. Then press Power button to confirm entry into Recovery mode.
- Before flashing the new ROM do the following steps inCWM recovery:
> wipe data/factory reset
> wipe cache
> go to "advanced" and perform wipe dalvik cache
> go to "mounts and storage" and format system
- In CWM recovery, click Install Zip from SD card and select the ROM zip file copied earlier to the phone's SD card (repeat this step for installing Google Apps as well). After selecting the ROM file, allow the ROM to be installed on the device. This process may take about five minutes to complete.
- After the device is updated, hit Reboot System Now to reboot the phone into the newly installed ROM.
SlimBean Stable ROM is now successfully installed on your Nexus 4. Go to Settings > About Phone to check the firmware version installed.
[Source: XDA Developers]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: