Oil Prices Dip as Middle East Tensions Ease and Supply Increases
By m rochan | September 28, 2013 9:00 PM EST
Oil prices dipped after tensions eased in the Middle East, allaying fears of supply disruptions.
Benchmark US crude oil prices for delivery in November ended at $102.87 a barrel on the final trading day.
North Sea Brent crude oil for delivery in November hovered around $109 a barrel, Reuters data showed.
US crude traded at $104.67 a barrel a week ago while Brent traded at $109 per barrel.
Oil prices traded lower after the UN Security Council unanimously agreed to destroy Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's chemical arsenal.
Earlier, comments by Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, who said he wanted to strike a deal with the western powers over Iran's nuclear issue, weighed on oil prices. Market players expect Iranian crude to re-enter global markets in due course.
Earlier, prices were pulled down on news of an unforeseen surge in US crude stockpiles.
The US Energy Information Administration (EIA) said on that US crude reserves had jumped 2.6 million. Analysts on average had tipped a drop of 900,000.
Meanwhile, oil production in Libya, which accounts for over 1.5% of global oil output, is now averaging about 650,000 barrels per day, said National Oil official Belgasem Shengeer.
Libya and Iran are members of the 12-nation Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (Opec), which accounts for the bulk of the world's oil exports.
"The easing of the geopolitical tensions and the plentiful supply of the market give little reason for any rise in prices," said Commerzbank analyst Carsten Fritsch.
In Libya, oil fields located in the west are back on stream, but protests continue to keep out exports from facilities located in the east. Strikes over pay had hampered oil production and exports from Libya.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Billionaire Money Habits: 5 Financial Habits Practiced By The World's Richest People
- This Is The Lammily Doll With Freckles And Acne That Make It More Attractive Than Barbie
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change