Eating Peanut Butter, Nuts in Childhood Lower Breast Cancer Risk; Other Disease-Fighting Foods
By Roshni Mahesh | September 28, 2013 1:42 AM EST
Regular consumption of peanut butter during childhood can help women protect against the risk of developing breast cancer, a new study says.
The study followed more than 9,000 girls, part of The Growing UP Today Study in the US. Prevalence of the benign breast cancer was analysed, between ages 18 and 30.
Researchers from the Washington University School of Medicine said that eating more nuts and peanut butter during childhood, particularly between the ages nine and 15, helped improve breast health and thus lowered the risk of benign breast disease by 39 percent. Benign breast disease is a series of non-cancerous changes that affects breast tissue, including cysts, sensitivity or discomfort in the breast and nipple. It is one of the major factors that increases the risk of breast cancer.
"These findings suggest that peanut butter could help reduce the risk of breast cancer in women," senior author Graham, said in a news release. Graham is the associate director for cancer prevention and control at Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine.
The researchers said lentils, beans, soybeans and corn are also equally effective in preventing benign breast disease.
Breast cancer is one of the leading causes of death among women across the globe. Previous studies have identified several factors like having a large breast size, working night shifts, undergoing fertility treatments at a young age, giving birth to large babies, alcohol consumption during teenage years and having multiple babies via IVF escalated the risks of developing breast cancer in women.
Following are some other foods that help fight breast cancer:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Co-founder of ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, Corey Griffin, Drowns to Death
- Science of Depression: A Disease With a Biological Basis; Robin Williams A Victiom of the Disease [Watch Video]
- ALS sufferer takes on Ice Bucket Challenge For His Own Cause[Video]
- U.S. Pizza to Launch Sauces Laced with Marijuana
- Pornography: A 'Chemical Addiction' That Celebrities Admitted Being Addicted To
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter