Eating Peanut Butter, Nuts in Childhood Lower Breast Cancer Risk; Other Disease-Fighting Foods
By Roshni Mahesh | September 28, 2013 1:42 AM EST
Regular consumption of peanut butter during childhood can help women protect against the risk of developing breast cancer, a new study says.
The study followed more than 9,000 girls, part of The Growing UP Today Study in the US. Prevalence of the benign breast cancer was analysed, between ages 18 and 30.
Researchers from the Washington University School of Medicine said that eating more nuts and peanut butter during childhood, particularly between the ages nine and 15, helped improve breast health and thus lowered the risk of benign breast disease by 39 percent. Benign breast disease is a series of non-cancerous changes that affects breast tissue, including cysts, sensitivity or discomfort in the breast and nipple. It is one of the major factors that increases the risk of breast cancer.
"These findings suggest that peanut butter could help reduce the risk of breast cancer in women," senior author Graham, said in a news release. Graham is the associate director for cancer prevention and control at Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine.
The researchers said lentils, beans, soybeans and corn are also equally effective in preventing benign breast disease.
Breast cancer is one of the leading causes of death among women across the globe. Previous studies have identified several factors like having a large breast size, working night shifts, undergoing fertility treatments at a young age, giving birth to large babies, alcohol consumption during teenage years and having multiple babies via IVF escalated the risks of developing breast cancer in women.
Following are some other foods that help fight breast cancer:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola News Regarding Wortham's Kindergarterners Infected is False, Angry Reactions
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage