Eating Peanut Butter, Nuts in Childhood Lower Breast Cancer Risk; Other Disease-Fighting Foods
By Roshni Mahesh | September 28, 2013 1:42 AM EST
Regular consumption of peanut butter during childhood can help women protect against the risk of developing breast cancer, a new study says.
The study followed more than 9,000 girls, part of The Growing UP Today Study in the US. Prevalence of the benign breast cancer was analysed, between ages 18 and 30.
Researchers from the Washington University School of Medicine said that eating more nuts and peanut butter during childhood, particularly between the ages nine and 15, helped improve breast health and thus lowered the risk of benign breast disease by 39 percent. Benign breast disease is a series of non-cancerous changes that affects breast tissue, including cysts, sensitivity or discomfort in the breast and nipple. It is one of the major factors that increases the risk of breast cancer.
"These findings suggest that peanut butter could help reduce the risk of breast cancer in women," senior author Graham, said in a news release. Graham is the associate director for cancer prevention and control at Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine.
The researchers said lentils, beans, soybeans and corn are also equally effective in preventing benign breast disease.
Breast cancer is one of the leading causes of death among women across the globe. Previous studies have identified several factors like having a large breast size, working night shifts, undergoing fertility treatments at a young age, giving birth to large babies, alcohol consumption during teenage years and having multiple babies via IVF escalated the risks of developing breast cancer in women.
Following are some other foods that help fight breast cancer:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola: American Doctors in Liberia Trying Out New Methods
- Low-Carb Diet Helps Reduce Risk of Heart Disease, Aids Weight Loss; A Look At Celebs Who Adopted The Diet
- 5 Deadly Reasons to Stay Away From Soda (Watch Video)
- Boxing News 2014: 12 Days to Mayweather-Maidana Rematch; Money May’s Bikram Yoga Routine Includes Placing $100 Bills Around Mat
- Coffee Before A Nap Improves Brain Alertness
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged