Sharapova's Ex-Coach to Train South African Kids
By Rachelle Corpuz | September 27, 2013 1:43 PM EST
Thomas Hogstedt, former professional tennis player and coach of Russian top tennis player Maria Sharapova, has decided to share his expertise in tennis by training South African kids.
In 2010, Sharapova hired Hogstedt to be her coach. Back then, she had been globally ranked no. 18. When Hogstedt became her full-time coach in 2011, her performance drastically improved. She won two Women's Tennis Association titles. She also made it to the French Open semifinals and Wimbleton finals.
In 2012, Sharapova won the Grand Slam title in the French Open and regained the world's no. 1 spot. Under Hogstedt, she made it to the Australian Open finals, and the U.S. Open semifinals. She has also won a silver medal in the Olympics.
In 2013, they parted ways. "Thomas Hogstedt and I decided to part ways after almost 3 years of working together," Sharapova said in a statement on her official web site. "He will not be able to travel in the future and we both decided that this is the right time to go on our separate ways. I am extremely appreciative for all his hard work and I could only wish him the very best," she noted.
Aside from Sharapova, Hogstedt also mentored Carol Wozniacki and Li Na, who belong to the pack of the greatest tennis players in the world.
Hogstedt may no longer be working with Sharapova but he knows how to keep himself busy. He will be training kids from South Africa whom he finds equally rewarding. He had already been there in 2012 and had several coaching sessions. He has spotted two South African girls with amazing talents and believes both of them will have a future in the world of tennis.
"I brought Sharapova, Na, and Wozniacki to the top. I will make sure that these two South African girls, Zoe and Isabella Kruger, will become grand slam champions in time," Hogstedt said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide