Awesome Synergy Between Australian Surfer and Dolphin Captured Forever on Photo
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | September 27, 2013 1:16 PM EST
Capturing pics of surfers riding the perfect waves has always been a staple among most photographers. They just have to wait for the perfect wave to come up. But imagine the double fun when a dolphin gets into the fray with the surfer and the perfect wave. Matt Hutton was there at the right moment, and what a beauty his photograph of all three elements turned out to be.
Mr Hutton, who was in Perth, Western Australia for some R and R, decided to make a stopover in Kalbarri beach for a few days to try his luck on surf photography with the help of some newly purchased lenses. Australian surfer Trent Sherborne, meantime, just plainly wanted the wave all to himself.
It was Mr Hutton's last day of experimenting with his new gadgets. He'd been shooting for a few hours when the unexpected happened.
"After an hour of shooting a pod of dolphins started to follow the surfers in on the big waves," Mr Hutton said.
"I was getting some great photos of Trent Sherborne surfing this awesome wave, when a pod of dolphins decided to join him."
Mr Sherborne, according to the self-taught photographer from Wickham, seemed to be the only surfer the friendly dolphins took a fancy on to race with. Mr Hutton said the surfer shared the waves not just with one but two acrobatic dolphins.
"He was a lucky surfer to not only ride one wave but two with these dolphins," Mr Hutton said. "I was watching for about two hours and he was the only one that I saw that managed to get a nice wave with the dolphins breaching," he added.
What's even doubly lucky for Mr Hutton was that earlier while asking locals about dolphin sightings, he was told they come in rare.
"One photographer said that he had been there hundreds of times but only seen dolphins on a few occasions."
Mr Sherborne, obviously shocked with his surfing encounter, just couldn't also shake off the wonderful feeling.
"Mate, that's a sick shot and it's me on that wave with the dolphin! I remember that wave clearly - obviously you don't get to eyeball a dolphin like that every day!," Mr Sherborne wrote on Mr Hutton's page when the latter downloaded and shared the photo for the world to see.
"I took the opportunity to try to capture some amazing photos, which I think I was lucky enough to do," Mr Hutton said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More