Trident Taskforce arrested on Wednesday a 46-year-old Brighton man for drug related offences. The arrest is part of a major operation undertaken by the multi-agency Trident Taskforce, to disrupt an alleged large drug importation and trafficking syndicate. According to a press release issued by the Australian Crime Commission (ACC), this is the third arrest by the Taskforce since it launched its anti-drug trafficking operation in Dec 2012.
Reports said that members from the joint-agency taskforce arrested the man outside his residence in Brighton in the morning hours of Wednesday.
ACC said the man has been charged for the trafficking a large commercial quantity of drugs. He was presented at the Melbourne Magistrates' Court later on Wednesday.
This is the third arrest since the operation by the Trident Taskforce against drug importation and trafficking syndicate.
Earlier in June, a Balwyn man, Nabil Karam, 41, was arrested on charges of trafficking a large commercial quantity of MDMA.
Later on the same month, another Sydenham man, Antonio Sergi, 39, was also arrested on similar charges of trafficking MDMA, possessing MDMA and possessing amphetamine.
The operation is ongoing.
Trident Taskforce is a multi-agency effort consisting of members from Victoria Police, the Australian Federal Police, The Australian Customs and Border Protection Service, Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre, Australian Taxation Office and the Australian Crime Commission.
It was set up in July 2012 to address serious and organised criminal activities relating to the maritime environment across Victoria.
Since its inception, the taskforce has been working on reducing organised crime, including theft, money laundering and the illicit importation of large amounts of tobacco, drugs, stolen goods and firearms in the region.
To contact the editor, e-mail: