NBA News: Spurs Going Young
By James Patrick Quizon | September 26, 2013 1:32 PM EST
With an aging core that includes veterans Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, the San Antonio Spurs decided that it is time to go young. That is, signing free agent small forward Sam Young, who is expected to add depth to their already deep wing rotation in San Antonio.
Young was drafted by the Memphis Grizzlies in 2009 as the 36th overall pick. He also had stints with the Philadelphia 76ers and Indiana Pacers in his 5-year NBA career.
The Spurs lost no. 1 back-up point guard Gary Neal to free agency in the off-season but have reloaded their second stringers after signing sweet-shooting guard Marco Belinelli and Young.
Young is expected to be the fourth guard-forward for the Spurs behind Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green and Manu Ginobili. While both Leonard and Green are young and in the prime of their careers, the Spurs are expected to give Ginobili limited minutes to preserve him for the postseason.
The 28-year-old Young averaged 18.9 points and 6.3 rebounds per game as a senior for the Pittsburgh Panthers in college.
In the NBA, however, he has yet to find consistency on offense and is now known primarily as a defensive stopper. In the 2013 NBA Playoffs with the Indiana Pacers, he was matched-up against the likes of LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.
The Spurs front office, particularly head coach Gregg Popovich, is known to develop unknown and unheralded players and turn them into legit starters or even star players.
The most recent projects are Leonard, who was drafted 15th overall in the 2011 draft, and Green, who was the 46th overall pick in the 2009 draft. Both are now part of the core for the Spurs and major contributors for the team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Ronda Rousey Puts Up Her Belongings For Auction
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes