NBA News: Spurs Going Young
By James Patrick Quizon | September 26, 2013 1:32 PM EST
With an aging core that includes veterans Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, the San Antonio Spurs decided that it is time to go young. That is, signing free agent small forward Sam Young, who is expected to add depth to their already deep wing rotation in San Antonio.
Young was drafted by the Memphis Grizzlies in 2009 as the 36th overall pick. He also had stints with the Philadelphia 76ers and Indiana Pacers in his 5-year NBA career.
The Spurs lost no. 1 back-up point guard Gary Neal to free agency in the off-season but have reloaded their second stringers after signing sweet-shooting guard Marco Belinelli and Young.
Young is expected to be the fourth guard-forward for the Spurs behind Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green and Manu Ginobili. While both Leonard and Green are young and in the prime of their careers, the Spurs are expected to give Ginobili limited minutes to preserve him for the postseason.
The 28-year-old Young averaged 18.9 points and 6.3 rebounds per game as a senior for the Pittsburgh Panthers in college.
In the NBA, however, he has yet to find consistency on offense and is now known primarily as a defensive stopper. In the 2013 NBA Playoffs with the Indiana Pacers, he was matched-up against the likes of LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.
The Spurs front office, particularly head coach Gregg Popovich, is known to develop unknown and unheralded players and turn them into legit starters or even star players.
The most recent projects are Leonard, who was drafted 15th overall in the 2011 draft, and Green, who was the 46th overall pick in the 2009 draft. Both are now part of the core for the Spurs and major contributors for the team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans