NBA News: Spurs Going Young
By James Patrick Quizon | September 26, 2013 1:32 PM EST
With an aging core that includes veterans Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, the San Antonio Spurs decided that it is time to go young. That is, signing free agent small forward Sam Young, who is expected to add depth to their already deep wing rotation in San Antonio.
Young was drafted by the Memphis Grizzlies in 2009 as the 36th overall pick. He also had stints with the Philadelphia 76ers and Indiana Pacers in his 5-year NBA career.
The Spurs lost no. 1 back-up point guard Gary Neal to free agency in the off-season but have reloaded their second stringers after signing sweet-shooting guard Marco Belinelli and Young.
Young is expected to be the fourth guard-forward for the Spurs behind Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green and Manu Ginobili. While both Leonard and Green are young and in the prime of their careers, the Spurs are expected to give Ginobili limited minutes to preserve him for the postseason.
The 28-year-old Young averaged 18.9 points and 6.3 rebounds per game as a senior for the Pittsburgh Panthers in college.
In the NBA, however, he has yet to find consistency on offense and is now known primarily as a defensive stopper. In the 2013 NBA Playoffs with the Indiana Pacers, he was matched-up against the likes of LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.
The Spurs front office, particularly head coach Gregg Popovich, is known to develop unknown and unheralded players and turn them into legit starters or even star players.
The most recent projects are Leonard, who was drafted 15th overall in the 2011 draft, and Green, who was the 46th overall pick in the 2009 draft. Both are now part of the core for the Spurs and major contributors for the team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools