NBA News: Spurs Going Young
By James Patrick Quizon | September 26, 2013 1:32 PM EST
With an aging core that includes veterans Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, the San Antonio Spurs decided that it is time to go young. That is, signing free agent small forward Sam Young, who is expected to add depth to their already deep wing rotation in San Antonio.
Young was drafted by the Memphis Grizzlies in 2009 as the 36th overall pick. He also had stints with the Philadelphia 76ers and Indiana Pacers in his 5-year NBA career.
The Spurs lost no. 1 back-up point guard Gary Neal to free agency in the off-season but have reloaded their second stringers after signing sweet-shooting guard Marco Belinelli and Young.
Young is expected to be the fourth guard-forward for the Spurs behind Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green and Manu Ginobili. While both Leonard and Green are young and in the prime of their careers, the Spurs are expected to give Ginobili limited minutes to preserve him for the postseason.
The 28-year-old Young averaged 18.9 points and 6.3 rebounds per game as a senior for the Pittsburgh Panthers in college.
In the NBA, however, he has yet to find consistency on offense and is now known primarily as a defensive stopper. In the 2013 NBA Playoffs with the Indiana Pacers, he was matched-up against the likes of LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.
The Spurs front office, particularly head coach Gregg Popovich, is known to develop unknown and unheralded players and turn them into legit starters or even star players.
The most recent projects are Leonard, who was drafted 15th overall in the 2011 draft, and Green, who was the 46th overall pick in the 2009 draft. Both are now part of the core for the Spurs and major contributors for the team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet