New Zealand Halts Apple Exports to China After Discovery of Fungal Rot (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 26, 2013 8:10 AM EST
Having learnt its lessons from the botulism scare caused by tainted milk products made by Fonterra, New Zealand is not taking any chances this time and immediately halted the export of another major agricultural product.
Local apple growers halted exports to China after a fungal rot was discovered which could harm plants in China. The rotten batch of apples were traced to Hawke's Bay, the biggest apple growing region of New Zealand located on the east of North Island.
"Industry has informed us that in response to the rot being detected - and considering this apple export season is almost over - it has voluntarily suspended all apple exports to China for the remainder of the season," the Ministry of Primary Industries said in a statement.
China buys about $15 million worth of apples from New Zealand yearly, but it is just a fraction of the 4400 million that the country exports yearly.
The fungus, neofabraea alba, that caused post-harvest rot was found in three consignments in early September and alerted New Zealand officials.
Chinese officials themselves requested the suspension of the apples from some production sites and packing houses in Hawke's Bay.
Stephen Butcher, the manager of import and export of Pipfruit New Zealand, said the fungus has been in New Zealand the past 100 years but is not found in China; hence, the decision to halt the exports, although it is not a food safety issue.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans