New Zealand Halts Apple Exports to China After Discovery of Fungal Rot (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 26, 2013 8:10 AM EST
Having learnt its lessons from the botulism scare caused by tainted milk products made by Fonterra, New Zealand is not taking any chances this time and immediately halted the export of another major agricultural product.
Local apple growers halted exports to China after a fungal rot was discovered which could harm plants in China. The rotten batch of apples were traced to Hawke's Bay, the biggest apple growing region of New Zealand located on the east of North Island.
"Industry has informed us that in response to the rot being detected - and considering this apple export season is almost over - it has voluntarily suspended all apple exports to China for the remainder of the season," the Ministry of Primary Industries said in a statement.
China buys about $15 million worth of apples from New Zealand yearly, but it is just a fraction of the 4400 million that the country exports yearly.
The fungus, neofabraea alba, that caused post-harvest rot was found in three consignments in early September and alerted New Zealand officials.
Chinese officials themselves requested the suspension of the apples from some production sites and packing houses in Hawke's Bay.
Stephen Butcher, the manager of import and export of Pipfruit New Zealand, said the fungus has been in New Zealand the past 100 years but is not found in China; hence, the decision to halt the exports, although it is not a food safety issue.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report