New Zealand Halts Apple Exports to China After Discovery of Fungal Rot (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 26, 2013 8:10 AM EST
Having learnt its lessons from the botulism scare caused by tainted milk products made by Fonterra, New Zealand is not taking any chances this time and immediately halted the export of another major agricultural product.
Local apple growers halted exports to China after a fungal rot was discovered which could harm plants in China. The rotten batch of apples were traced to Hawke's Bay, the biggest apple growing region of New Zealand located on the east of North Island.
"Industry has informed us that in response to the rot being detected - and considering this apple export season is almost over - it has voluntarily suspended all apple exports to China for the remainder of the season," the Ministry of Primary Industries said in a statement.
China buys about $15 million worth of apples from New Zealand yearly, but it is just a fraction of the 4400 million that the country exports yearly.
The fungus, neofabraea alba, that caused post-harvest rot was found in three consignments in early September and alerted New Zealand officials.
Chinese officials themselves requested the suspension of the apples from some production sites and packing houses in Hawke's Bay.
Stephen Butcher, the manager of import and export of Pipfruit New Zealand, said the fungus has been in New Zealand the past 100 years but is not found in China; hence, the decision to halt the exports, although it is not a food safety issue.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday August 26, 2014
- Survey Says Many Investors Unaware of True State of Stock Market
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning August 27, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning August 26, 2014
- 3 Keys to Real Estate Selling Success, According to Aussie Superstar Agent
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown