New Zealand Halts Apple Exports to China After Discovery of Fungal Rot (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 26, 2013 8:10 AM EST
Having learnt its lessons from the botulism scare caused by tainted milk products made by Fonterra, New Zealand is not taking any chances this time and immediately halted the export of another major agricultural product.
Local apple growers halted exports to China after a fungal rot was discovered which could harm plants in China. The rotten batch of apples were traced to Hawke's Bay, the biggest apple growing region of New Zealand located on the east of North Island.
"Industry has informed us that in response to the rot being detected - and considering this apple export season is almost over - it has voluntarily suspended all apple exports to China for the remainder of the season," the Ministry of Primary Industries said in a statement.
China buys about $15 million worth of apples from New Zealand yearly, but it is just a fraction of the 4400 million that the country exports yearly.
The fungus, neofabraea alba, that caused post-harvest rot was found in three consignments in early September and alerted New Zealand officials.
Chinese officials themselves requested the suspension of the apples from some production sites and packing houses in Hawke's Bay.
Stephen Butcher, the manager of import and export of Pipfruit New Zealand, said the fungus has been in New Zealand the past 100 years but is not found in China; hence, the decision to halt the exports, although it is not a food safety issue.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- Magaluf 2014 Update: Spanish Bar Where Teen Performed Sex Acts Closed, to Pay $78K Fine Along with Carnage Event Planner (VIDEOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian International Condemnation Extends to 2018 World Cup
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]