Samsung Galaxy Note first-generation may not get an official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update and needs more waiting for Android 4.4 KitKat. However, SlimBean developers provided a stable Android 4.3 custom ROM so that owners can get the latest Android features instantly.
Samsung Galaxy Note With SlimBean
SlimBean ROM supports Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware which based from AOSP version and now available for the first-gen Galaxy Note. It delivers features not found on the official Android 4.1.2 version such as Bluetooth Smart and OpenGL ES 3.0. In addition, the developers optimized the device to make it more stable, faster and smoother compared to what Samsung may release.
From Android 4.1 Jelly Bean features
- Project Butter
- Google Now
From Android 4.2 features
- Lock Screen Widgets
- Actionable Notifications
- Extended Quick Settings
From Android 4.3 features:
- Bluetooth Smart
- OpenGL ES 3.0
- Improved Dial Pad
- Better text input
- Virtual Surround Sound
- Real Dark theme
- Notification drawer and lock screen shortcuts
- Customisable Quick Settings tiles
- SlimPie launcher
- Built-in SlimBean ROM OTA Updater
Warning: SlimBean is a customized ROM that requires manual installation which may damage your device. We are not liable for any damages which may occur on your Galaxy Note. Read, understand and follow the instructions to avoid damaging your device. Do this at your own risk!
Fulfil the following requirements before flashing the custom ROM.
1. Your Galaxy Note model must be N7000. Do not flash this to any other Note or suffer unforeseen consequences.
2. The phablet must be unlocked from any network carrier or you won't be able to install the ROM.
3. Unlock its bootloader, root and install a ClockworkMod recovery on the device. Click here for the instructions and files needed.
4. Install the necessary USB drivers for your Galaxy Note on your computer.
5. Create a backup of all personal information, settings and data files on your device.
6. Make sure that the battery level is at least 50 percent to avoid power interruption.
7. Enable USB debugging mode on your device. Go to "Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging mode" or "Settings > Developer Options > USB debugging mode."
8. Download the SlimBean Android 4.3 ROM and the Slim Google Apps package.
1. Connect the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 to your computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy the SlimBean ROM and the Google Apps package you have downloaded earlier to the SD card of the Galaxy Note. Do not extract any of them.
3. Disconnect the phablet from the computer then turn it off.
4. Assuming you have rooted, unlocked the bootloader and installed the ClockworkMod custom recovery, reboot the device into the recovery mode. Press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power keys at the same time till the Samsung logo appears.
5. Inside the Recovery mode, create a Nandroid backup of the current ROM. Select "backup and restores > backup." The ROM is saved inside the internal storage which you can restore anytime.
6. Perform a full wipe on your device. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition." Then select "advanced > wipe Dalvik cache."
7. Go back to the main menu then install the SlimBean Android 4.3 ROM. Select "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD > Slim Bean Android 4.3 ROM > confirm installation." Apply the same with the Google Apps.
8. Once the installation has been completed, go back then select "reboot system now."
9. Your Samsung Galaxy Note will reboot and may take up to five minutes before reaching the home screen.
Congratulations! Now your Galaxy Note N7000 is running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean with the help of SlimBean custom ROM. Go to "Settings > About device > Android version" to check the current build.
In case you have any issues or problems especially with the S Pen, send your feedback to Bugs Section of Slim Bean Web site.
To contact the editor, e-mail: