Owners of the Samsung Galaxy S smartphone seems to be left out with Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS and unable to get Android 4.0 or 4.1 update. Thankfully, developers of the SlimBean ROM made an Android 4.3 Jelly Bean for device to receive latest features such as Lock screen Widgets, Google Now and Project Butter.
Source: Android and Samsung
SlimBean ROM Update with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
SlimBean developers made Galaxy S phones upgradable to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and the firmware features Google Now, Project Butter, Lock screen Widgets, Actionable Notifications, Daydream, Extended Quick Settings, Bluetooth Smart, OpenGL ES 3.0, improved dial pad, better text input and virtual surround sound.
- Real Dark theme
- Notification drawer and lock screen shortcuts
- Customisable Quick Settings tiles
- SlimPie launcher
- Built-in SlimBean ROM OTA Updater
Warning: SlimBean ROM requires manual installation which may damage your device. We are not liable for any damages which occur on your smartphone. Read, understand and follow the instructions carefully to avoid damaging your device. Do this at your own risk!
1. This firmware is designed for the Samsung Galaxy S model only. Do not flash this to any other device.
2. Root the smartphone and Install a ClockworkMod recovery on the device. Click here for the instructions and files needed on the Galaxy S I9000 variant.
3. Install the necessary USB drivers for your Galaxy S on your computer.
4. Create a backup of all personal information, settings and data files on your handset.
5. Make sure that the battery level is at least 50 per cent to avoid power interruption.
6. Enable USB debugging mode on your device. Go to "Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging mode."
7. Download the SlimBean Android 4.3 ROM for the Galaxy S I9000 and the Slim Google Apps package. If you own a different variant, click below on the model name for the specific firmware:
a. Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
b. Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant
1. Connect the Samsung Galaxy S to your computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy the SlimBean ROM and the Google Apps package you have downloaded earlier to the SD card of the smartphone. No need to extract any of them.
3. Disconnect the handset from the computer then turn it off.
4. Reboot into Recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Home and Power keys at the same time till the Samsung logo appears.
5. Inside the Recovery mode, create a Nandroid backup of the current ROM. Select "backup and restores > backup." The ROM is saved inside the internal storage which you can restore anytime.
6. Perform a full wipe on your device. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition." Then select "advanced > wipe Dalvik cache."
7. Go back to the main menu then install the SlimBean Android 4.3 ROM. Select "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD > Slim Bean Android 4.3 ROM > confirm installation." Apply the same with the Google Apps.
8. Once the installation has been completed, go back then select "reboot system now."
9. Your Samsung Galaxy S smartphone will reboot and may take up to five minutes before reaching the home screen.
Well done! Your Samsung Galaxy S now welcomes Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS using the SlimBean custom ROM.
In case you have any issues or problems, send your feedback to Bugs Section of Slim Bean Web site.
To contact the editor, e-mail: